A few questions
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A few questions

Jilly21214 Guest

DefaultA few questions

Hey sorry if this gets long. I have a 3 year old english black lab , male named Duke and then I have a 7 month old coco lab, female named Lola. Both of them are NOT fixed but our female has yet to go into heat. We are having issues with our puppy. She is about 90% potty trained, but she stays in her crate most of the time. I am a stay at home mom of a 2 year old and a 1 year old. When our puppy is out of the crate we normally keep her pinned up in the kitchen. She is so hyper that I am afraid she is going to hurt one of the kids. She play fights all the time with our other lab. They play fight so much that it gets real annoying. She also pulls really bad on the leash. She has almost made me fall down the stairs and she has knocked me down outside three times one of which she made my ankle swell up really bad that I could not walk on it. We currently do not have a fenced in yard. I try to take her on walks but it is hard when you have two kids and your husband works late. We have talked about rehoming her but my 1 year old is so attached to her. Due you think if we get her fixed that maybe she will calm down? Any advice would be so helpful. Thanks so much.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A few questions

:suspious:

justine is offline Senior Member

Quite a few questions! Hopefully we can help you out!

First off.. you have two unaltered dogs. Are you planning on fixing one, if not both of them? As I'm sure you'll hear when others chime in, it's almost impossible to keep two dogs away from each other when the female is in heat.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

No, fixing her will not fix the problem, but YES you should get her spayed immediately. If you think you have problems now, wait until you are trying to keep your boy and girl apart in your house.

The PROBLEM is the pup is crated all the time. The dog needs exercise and training, and puppies need twice as much as you think they do. They are strong and active dogs, and I hate to say this but you are compounding the problem by keeping the dog confined and not teaching it the proper way to behave in your home. I understand she is strong and could hurt the children, but if you were training her from day 1 to not jump, listen to you, etc. it wouldn't be an issue now.

Couple things need to happen...
    1) both dogs need to be fixed
    2) get that puppy enrolled in obedience class

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Hi there.

Getting her fixed won't help her calm down. That is just a myth. The consensus on when to spay is a matter of opinion, but I would say that she is a little too young. Wait until she has had her first season.

You should, however, get your male fixed. Any medical issues aside, there is no reason to keep a pet male dog intact. You are keeping him intact for a purpose that he is never going to forfill (reproduction), which is frustrating for them. Granted, not all entire males are sex maniacs, but IMO it is kinder to neuter.

What you describe sounds to me like perfectly normal puppy behaviour. When you put two young, active dogs together, they will want to run around, play and wrestle on and off throughout the day. It is up to you to set the boundaries and show them what is and what is not acceptable in the house. They won't 'behave' naturally without your guidance.

It sounds to me like your dogs are behaving in the way they are due to lack of stimulation of both the physical and mental variety. Labs are an active breed and need a good dose of exercise to stay sane daily. You say your yard isn't fenced in. Do your dogs ever get a chance to run around? if not, you need to do something to recify this. They should be provided with the opportunity to run and play DAILY. They also need to be walked daily for mental stimulation.

As for walks, how far and how often are you walking them? I suggest you look into an anti-pull harness to help you gain some control over them. Then in the long term you can wean them off the harness as you work on proper training.

Basically, too much time crated + too much time spend in the house = bored dogs. With proper routine, the opportunity to run DAILY, a good daily walk and most importantly of all, training, your puppies 'problems' are easily recifiable.

I wonder whose idea it was to get a second Lab when you have your hands full with a toddler and an infant? Not very well thought out.

What the others have said is valid - but having been in your shoes with 2 babies - I think you may not have the time or energy to dedicate to this puppy now. I highly doubt that your 1 year old is so attached to this puppy. If the pup was gone one week the baby would totally forget about her.

I would re-home her responsibly (which does not include dropping her off at a shelter). Call her breeder, contact your local Lab rescue or an all breed rescue organization in your area.

Good luck.

Big meanie here

It sounds like you're way over your head with this new dog and you're not doing anyone any favors by keeping her in a crate all day. If you can't commit to serious exercise (a walk around the block isn't enough at this age) or sending her to daycare a couple of times a week, I'd seriously consider rehoming her. Did you get her from a breeder? If so, talk to them about your options. If not, we can help you find a rescue. In the meantime, yes spay and nueter them asap...though it won't solve your problem, it'll keep from making more.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I hate to say it, but I agree with the two previous posters. Sounds like you are in WAY over your head, and this is a bad situation for everyone involved, especially the dog.

The baby will get over it very quickly if the dog is rehomed, not to worry.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Dani is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    Big meanie here

It sounds like you're way over your head with this new dog and you're not doing anyone any favors by keeping her in a crate all day. If you can't commit to serious exercise (a walk around the block isn't enough at this age) or sending her to daycare a couple of times a week, I'd seriously consider rehoming her. Did you get her from a breeder? If so, talk to them about your options. If not, we can help you find a rescue. In the meantime, yes spay and nueter them asap...though it won't solve your problem, it'll keep from making more.

+100000000000000000000000000000000000
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Dynamicdogs is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    Big meanie here

+100000000000000000000000000000000000
    I agree, way too much at this point. maybe add a second dog once your kids are older.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, just piss on it and walk away

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast