Thinking of starting a Boarding Facility...

Thread: Thinking of starting a Boarding Facility...

deb
    deb is offline Member

DefaultThinking of starting a Boarding Facility...

My husband and I both love, love, love dogs. We always struggle when we have to board our dogs if we go somewhere where we can't sneak them in...and have talked to others who feel the same way. I would love to offer a boarding spa for those who want the pups to have tons of attention !

Just a thought

Does anyone board ?? Good or bad experiences??

(we have a 1.5 acre lot - fenced in and were thinking about putting in a pole barn - temperature controlled)

Thanks for any opinions / comments

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Thinking of starting a Boarding Facility...

If you have the patience to deal with the owners - more power to you! I worked at a boarding spa/dog daycare/kennel for a year and it completely cured me of ever wanting my own

Each dog had an indoor/outdoor run, automatic waterer, and we fed them twice daily (extra if you wanted 3-4x daily). There were activities (walks, swimming, daycare) that were added costs and each dog got a "report card" for each activity. Dogs got beds at night and toys during the day. Kongs, stuffed and frozen, were available (for purchase) to be given to the dogs once daily. Each dog got treats (of their own or ours) three times daily. Runs were washed with bleach/kennelsol once daily. The price was $24.50/night, walks were $8/walk, daycare $16/day, kongs $3 each.

There were other things we did too, but I think some form of PTSD blocked them out

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

A very close friend of mine quit nursing to start a boarding facility. It was her dream and she was seriously burnt out from Er nursing. 1 1/2 yrs. into it she says it is 10times harder then nursing every was ! A lot of commitment and no vacations! She still loves, the dogs, but keeping the owners happy, well that's a different story! Plus she works every Holiday and all summer long because that's when most folks go on vacation! I would do a lot of background work before deciding! Good luck with whatever you decide!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

look carefully at zoning laws in your municipality. If you are planning on running a kennel, it can be very very difficult to get a zoning permit in many areas. Where I live, you're pretty much SOL unless you buy a property with a kennel license grandfathered in.

If you are planning on offering home boarding on a small scale, you may be able to skirt existing laws, depending on your neighbours, animal control and by-law officers.