Fly had her puppies. Now what to do.........
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fly had her puppies. Now what to do.........

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultFly had her puppies. Now what to do.........

Well Fly had her puppies. Mom & puppies are doing well. Our breeder called us this morning. Unfortunately she did not have a little black female. 1 black male, 2 yellow males & 3 yellow females. The sire is a dark yellow, I think he would be called a fox red. His call name is Copper. He is a beautiful lab and a NFC.
    I can just cry. My dilema, we would love a Fly puppy, we know her temperment but I truly have a fondness for black labs. Do we take this fox red female or wait for her other female to be bred. This is Fly's last litter and she will be spayed. We like her temperment better than Ruby's. Both are great field dogs, both MH's & qualified for the Master National's. But Fly is just such a loving thing. Ruby is more aloof.
    All four are spoken for. My breeder said actaully all five have homes but she wanted to keep one female in case I did want a Fly puppy, even though it wasn't black.
    I have to let her know because there are more people on the waiting list.
    I just don't know. Should color matter that much?
    What would you folks do? I need some opinions. TIA.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Fly had her puppies. Now what to do.........

You've gotta decide if color or Fly family is more important to you in the long run. (Psst-I'd take temperment over color any day - and I love your blacks!)

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Colour wouldnt matter to me, I love all 3 colours but some people do have a preference

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'd go for the family lines if you really like them. Color will not make a difference once that pup is on your hands! (Heck, there was NO WAY I wanted a yellow...much less a male....Now, I would not trade Hoss for anything in the world!!)

I wouldn't get the yellow, it makes it so hard to take a picture with blacks and yellows, if I'd known that, I would have not kept Gin (Wink, Wink/ sarcasm)

Go with your gut, but make the decision before you go see the puppies.

The only thing different is coat color. Thats it.

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

Will a puppy from this breeding do what you want to do with it? Will the little female do what you want to do with her? If so, color isn't important. If it were me, I'd speak with the breeder and tell her that you'd really love the puppy, you want to continue to be on the list, but you have high hopes for this little girl, and that her potential to achieve your goals (along with the temperament to do that) is the most important thing. I'd ask if she'd consider letting you back out if the little girl isn't what you want in ability - not because of color.

I wanted only a black male, I may be bringing home a yellow female that stole my heart. Felicia brought home a black male, a "twist of fate" from her beginning quest for a yellow female. Once you bring the puppy home, it shouldn't matter what color it is.

Then again, if you just want a black pup, wait for the next breeding.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

I'd go for the bloodlines before color. You may find your preference changes, but once that pup is home with you, color won't matter a whit.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

As much as I have a serious weakness for blacks, I'd take temperament/preferred breeding over color any day of the week. As much as we were so set on a black male, if Baloo hadn't turned out the way I wanted we would have gotten a black female or chocolate male instead in a heartbeat.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Four years ago, I never would have willingly bought a black dog. But when I made the decision to get a bitch to show, I opened myself up because I wanted the best somone would give me. And thats how I got Piper So...a couple years later and I have four black dogs, lol.

If you were just talking a pet pup, I'd say be picky if you want. But if you know the lines, temperment and working ability, is what you want, don't look at the color...get the pup!!

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

The decision seems like a big one right now but I'd be willing to bet that if you chose a yellow a couple months down the road the big decision now will have seemed like a small one.

I think we all have preferences for one colour or another for various reasons but I choose for temperment over colour every time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast