Nasty incident at the DP.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nasty incident at the DP.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultNasty incident at the DP.

This happened at the local DP, about 10 acres. Some kind of poodle mix, about 25 lbs, white, and a generally happy, greets everybody, chases anything that moves, doggie named Harry got attacked by a pair of Dobermans that we have never seen at the park before.

Harry was with his Mom about 50 yards from the entry gate. Two men with a pair of Dobermans come through the gate. Harry sees them and has to go say hello. He runs to the entry as he always does. Both Dobermans go after him as he gets within a few feet. The two men pull them off, and drag them out of the park, into their truck and are leaving. One of the patrons got the license number, while several of us tend to Harry who is yelping and tossing on the ground.

Harry has two pretty had bites, tears. and a couple punctures. Owner calls her vet, leaves with Harry for vets office. We call the park authority with license number, report incident.

Owner of the Dobermans, contacts Harry's owner. Harry is fine, a bunch of stitches, and will forget about the incident when his hair grows back.<g> (He is not a very bright dog, even if he is fun.)

Dobermans owner says it was the first time he took them to a DP. Didn't know what to expect. Won't be back with his dogs. Apologized for what happened and offered to pay the vet bill, which he did. But was in shock at how much it was.

Anyway, as much as I am a fan of the DPs, stuff happens. Sometimes bad stuff, but it was nice to see that the owner of the offending dogs took responsibility.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

I'm glad they took responsibility as well, and I'm also glad they are smart enough to not bring them back. Its too bad someone couldn't suggest to them a safer place (read: supervised by a professional) to teach the dogs how to socialize properly with other dogs.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

joflake is offline Senior Member

Poor Harry. And yes it's good the owners were not jerks about it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

Aw shit. That sucks, but I am glad to hear that the dog wasn't too badly injured and that the owner did take responsibility... still a shame!

lisa is offline Senior Member

Happy te pup is okay and it's nice to see the owners of the other dog take responsibility.

Mocha is offline Senior Member

Wow. I'm sorry about that, but how great that the owner took responsibility of paying the vet bill.

We go to a dog park by my dads house and I can't believe the difference in some of the attitudes. Some people think their dogs should be allowed to do whatever they want (hump my dog, bite, bark, jump on me, etc) When I ask the owners they just say, hey it's a dog park - it's for the dogs, that's what dogs do. uggggggg.
    To err is human, to forgive, canine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    Wow. I'm sorry about that, but how great that the owner took responsibility of paying the vet bill.

We go to a dog park by my dads house and I can't believe the difference in some of the attitudes. Some people think their dogs should be allowed to do whatever they want (hump my dog, bite, bark, jump on me, etc) When I ask the owners they just say, hey it's a dog park - it's for the dogs, that's what dogs do. uggggggg.
    All kinds of dogs, all kinds of peeps. The dogs can all be trained, and I am amazed at the behavior changes we see in some dogs once we get comfortable enough to teach the dog that jumping or humping is bad. The peeps, well the success ratio is not as good, but the ones we convert become the most energized to help others. Overall, I like the DPs and all that go there. There will always be a few that I avoid, but thats true anywhere.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Glad Harry was alright, but I think Harry's owner plays a part also in this. While personally I would not go to a dog park with my dogs, if I did, I most certainly would NEVER allow my fur kids to run up to strange dogs, especially a 25# poodle to a pair of Dobermans. Harry may be a friendly chap, but......

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    Glad Harry was alright, but I think Harry's owner plays a part also in this. While personally I would not go to a dog park with my dogs, if I did, I most certainly would NEVER allow my fur kids to run up to strange dogs, especially a 25# poodle to a pair of Dobermans. Harry may be a friendly chap, but......
    Point well made, but.... without enough information.

Harry's mom is a 60+ year old that is not in the best shape. Our dog parks here are primarily intended to allow peeps to get some exercise with their off lead dogs. The dogs are required to be reasonably behaved, but not required to have good or even fair recall. For those of us with dogs that are well trained, there are lots of parks/trails we can go. Excellent recall is required in those places. These parks are supposed to be fun places for the dogs to run and play with each other. I am pretty biased on this incident. The owner of the Dobermans must have been aware that his dogs had this potential. They should never have been brought into the park. They learned, unfortunately Harry paid for the lesson.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Oh no, poor Harry.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast