Question for my breeder, too much to ask?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for my breeder, too much to ask?

DefaultQuestion for my breeder, too much to ask?

We are hopefully getting another lab, supposed to be born this weekend. Our current lab is a 7 year old female. She is very mello and only barks if someone comes to the door. I have a 4 year old daughter also very laid back so my house is fairly quite. My question is this. Is it too much to ask the breeder to match us with a puppy that is similiar in personality? I know a puppy will obviously have more energy than our older lab. But can you tell early on who will be hyper and who is happy just observing the world?

Thanks,
    Rebekah
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I think that depends. I would go by the parents, are they calm dogs overall?

Also, even a calm lab puppy is still a lab puppy, and will more than likely be mischievious and challenging for the first little while in the way that all puppies are, really. It's easy to forget what having a pup was like once dogs get to be well-rounded adults, but you'll be reminded quickly!

So I think the answer to your question is sort of yes, depending on your expectations and the breeder in question.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Actually a breeder worth anything would love to help you find the RIGHT puppy. Beware of breeders that throw you in the pen with all of them and then tells you to pick the one you want, at 3 weeks of age. A good breeder will pick the ideal puppy for you based on your family's needs when the pup's personality is developed. Usually around 7-8 weeks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dweck is offline Senior Member

I think a ((reputable)) breeder would be relieved (if not insistent) that you'd be interested in a pup that best fit your home/lifestyle/family.

In fact, if a breeder weren't, I'd consider it a major red flag and move on in my search for a dog.

IIRC that this question has come up on JL before, and for those of us who didn't rescue, very, very few didn't end up w/a dog that the ((reputable)) breeder didn't pick for us, after a slew of question/answer/investigation sessions.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

labby is offline Senior Member

^^

What Jen said. I pick my puppies for my people since I know them best. I ask what each individual is looking for in a puppy and match them up based on my knowledge.

Laura

hayshakerlabs is offline Senior Member

I too agree with Jen and Laura. It is very important to make the right matches.
    http://www.hayshakerlabs.com/

Sherry, Saedee, Shyloh, Izzy, Thelma, Natalie, Evon,, Gussa & Parody

Thanks everyone for your replies. Your answers pretty much confirmed that I really wasn't expecting too much. Introducing a new puppy will be a change but one that we have planned for. The breeder said the mom is a real sweet dog which is one reason we wanted a puppy from this litter. I have no preference male or female as long as it is a good match for my family. The litter was due this weekend. I placed a call to the breeder this morning for an update but haven't heard back. Hopefully there will be one available for us.

Thanks again,
    Rebekah

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Welcome - I see you got some answers - just wanted to add that's an adorable pic of your 2.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I agree with the above - in fact, I would be VERY worried if the breeder didn't ask me what temperment/personality would fit best in my lifestyle/routine (or ask lots of questions so they can figure it out and place the right pup with me)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Congrats on the new addition Definitely echo what the others said above. Our breeder for our new puppy chose her for us - and she did an AWESOME job.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast