Cosequin DS Questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cosequin DS Questions

imported_Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

DefaultCosequin DS Questions

I just bought some COSEQUIN DS from my Vet. A few questions for those who use it please.

The bottle notes (per tablet)...

Glucosamine HCI 99% 500 mg
    Sodium Chondroiton Sulfate 95% 400 mg
    Manganese 5 mg

My dog is about 65 pounds, so per the instructions it looks like a maintenance dose for her is 1 to 1.5 pills per day. She's to the lower end of the weight scale on the bottle for the dose they recommend. What do those of you who use this give...... 1 pill or 1.5 a day or how many mg of each? Prior to starting on the maintenance dose it looks like you're supposed to do a number of weeks at a higher dose. FYI - She is currently fed RC Mobility which contains green-lipped mussel powder. My vet said it's okay to use both together.

Can I ask what you pay for them? The bottle I have is 120 chewable tables. I was kind of surprised by the price of $80.00. Apparently the larger bottle is a bit better deal, but boy this stuff isn't cheap, is it?!

Third question.....Did you find there were any side effects when you first started using it? Upset stomach or anything?

TIA. I appreciate any replies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

absynthe is offline Member

DefaultRe: Cosequin DS Questions

Haven't used it, but with that kind of combo, really the only toxic effect is if too much is given. Of course, that can be specific to the dog.

Even human glucosamine compounds are more expensive than average supplements...it's no bueno.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance...? Just thought I'd post what little I knew so you'd have some sort of an answer. Your best bet is to Google the stuff and see what you can find...
    Is what I always do ^_^

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I use it...but have the 600-ct bottle (since both dogs are on it, one for "maintenance" and one just to prevent anything or heal up any minor injuries if required), so you can probably imagine how much that costs. :scare:

I give Libby, who is 70 lbs and my post-elbow-surgery girl for FCP's (and who also has HD), 1 of the DS chewables per day as maintenance. She does just fine on that, though I also occasionally give her Adequan injections, too. I think you would be safe to give 1 a day.

Haven't seen any problems with stomach upset, etc. that I could link to using Cosequin.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by absynthe
    Haven't used it, but with that kind of combo, really the only toxic effect is if too much is given. Of course, that can be specific to the dog.
    I haven't heard anyone mention toxic effects from these supplements. Is this an issue? I figured I'd stay to the low end of the dosage range being as she is to the lower end of the weigh range that it gives on the bottle, and also as she is on a dog food that contains some amount of green-lipped mussel powder. My Vet seemed to think combining the two was okay....no problem, but I wouldn't want to give too much. She seems to do well on this dog food, so I don't really want to switch.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaLabLover

I give Libby, who is 70 lbs and my post-elbow-surgery girl for FCP's (and who also has HD), 1 of the DS chewables per day as maintenance. She does just fine on that, though I also occasionally give her Adequan injections, too. I think you would be safe to give 1 a day.
    Do you think that giving 1 a day is okay even though she's on a dog food that contains green-lipped mussell? Are these Cosequin tablets the same strength (mg's) as the ones you give.....500 mg Glucosamine, 400 mg Chondroiton, and 5 mg Manganese (per tablet)? This Royal Canin she is on is a Vet diet, so I think it would likely have more in it than your average dog food with this type of ingredient (also very expensive), but it doesn't give amounts on the bag. Her hips aren't great, so I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to slow down further degeneration. It will certainly be worth the cost if it helps. I knew it wasn't cheap, but $80.00 for a small bottle kind of surprised me. My Vet seemed to think the combination of the food with green-lipped mussell and the Cosequin was okay.

Thanks for replying.

blackjack is offline Senior Member

Our vet told me to get the human stuff - CosaminDS - at Costco. It has 500mg glucosamine ,400mg chondrotin, 3mg manganese, 16 mg vit c and 35 mg sodium. It's around $60 for 230 (and its a little cheaper on Costco.com). The difference is it's not chewable, but a capsule. BJ gets two a day, one at each meal. He weighed 73 lbs last vet check. He eats the capsule with no trouble, I just drop it in his bowl. . Two of the beagles get one capsule a day as a preventative. The third one who has had two tplo surgeries gets the same amout as BJ. For the beagles, I open the capsules and sprinkle it over their kibble. I was feeding Candidae until recently, but now I feed everybody Taste of the Wild. That may change after their vet visit on Thursday if their ear problems are back. I haven't noticed anybody having trouble with the doses, even the little guys.

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

imported_bearsdad is offline Senior Member

I give mine 1/day for maint. I buy the bigger bottles like a 250 or 600 count off ebay and they are ALOT cheaper. The guy I buy from sends it directly from Nutrimax, so I know they are fresh. Never had any issues giving it.
    <br /><br />&quot;in moments of joy, all of us wish we possessed a tail we could wag.&quot;<br />w.h. auden<br /><br />&quot;This is worse than a divorce... I&#39;ve lost half of my net worth and I still have my wife&quot;

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

June, I've been using Cosequin DS for Henry preventatively for the past 3 years, after he slid full speed into an inground sprinkler head that wasn't all the way in the ground. He broke his toe and caused some damage to his right ACL. I keep him lean, on CosequinDS, have him xrayed every two years to monitor it, and keep my fingers crossed.

I order the capsules from HealthyPets: http://www.healthypets.com/cosdsdoubstr3.html.

Henry hovers around 70lbs and he gets one per day.

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    June, I've been using Cosequin DS for Henry preventatively for the past 3 years, after he slid full speed into an inground sprinkler head that wasn't all the way in the ground. He broke his toe and caused some damage to his right ACL. I keep him lean, on CosequinDS, have him xrayed every two years to monitor it, and keep my fingers crossed.

I order the capsules from HealthyPets: http://www.healthypets.com/cosdsdoubstr3.html.

Henry hovers around 70lbs and he gets one per day.
    Thanks Felicia. Wow that price is about half what I paid. These ones are chewable, but that shouldn't make a difference in price. The only other difference I can see is there is no (ascorbate 33 mg) listed on the ones I got. Not sure why the difference. My vet said no problem giving these on top of the dog food I'm using with the green-lipped mussel powder in it. I didn't want to over do it, but I guess he should know.

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

June, the chewables are the same price, I think!

http://www.healthypets.com/500councosds.html

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    June, the chewables are the same price, I think!

http://www.healthypets.com/500councosds.html
    That seems like an excellent price.....certainly to what I paid. I googled around a bit and found a couple of discounts sites that were actually higher than I paid.

I wonder why the ascorbic 33 mg isn't listed on the Cosequin that I have. It lists Manganese (as Manganese Ascorbate) 5 mg, but not the ascorbic 33 mg.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack
    Our vet told me to get the human stuff - CosaminDS - at Costco. It has 500mg glucosamine ,400mg chondrotin, 3mg manganese, 16 mg vit c and 35 mg sodium. It's around $60 for 230 (and its a little cheaper on Costco.com). The difference is it's not chewable, but a capsule.
    Hmmm.....thanks. I thought of Costco because I had read on JL of people using the Costco brand. I'll have to check that out next time I'm there. No Costco nearby us unfortunately, but I'll probably get in there next month. So your Vet thought it was just as good (and okay for dogs) as the Cosequin DS? Sure is a heck of a lot cheaper.....as long as the quality is as good. It looks like pretty much the same ingredients and mgs except for the sodium and vitamin C in the Costco brand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast