Ear trouble:(

Thread: Ear trouble:(

lisa is offline Senior Member

DefaultEar trouble:(

I noticed one of Gracie's ears is a little red inside and has some brownish looking wax. This must have just come on a day or so ago, I check often because my first lab had chronic ear trouble. She is not scratching or shaking her head at all. Should I try an ear cleaner first and see if it clears up, or should I see if it needs prescription from her vet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

If it's red inside, she might be scratching at it, just not around you!

I would suggest cleaning them every day, maybe even twice a day for a few days and see how it goes. It's best to pull slightly up, fill the canal with the cleaner, massage it around in there, then let her shake her head. That will loosen it all up. Then go back in with cotton balls and carefully clean it out. You don't have to get it ALL out in one round. Get as much as you can out and then try again the next day.

There are a ton of ear cleaners at the store, but one of the favorites here is the "purple stuff." Here is the recipe and info on Labby's site: http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ears.html

Just be careful because they can get infected very easily and it could be something like ear mites or something that requires special drops from the vet. Sometimes it's related to food allergies, as well. When I switched Abbey's food to grain-free, all of her ear issues cleaned up. I very rarely have to clean them.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    ...There are a ton of ear cleaners at the store, but one of the favorites here is the "purple stuff." Here is the recipe and info on Labby's site: http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ears.html ...
    You can also buy that ready made- it's called K-9 Liquid Health Ear Solutions. It's more convient that way- no running around trying to find all the ingreadients, measuring,etc.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I knew they sold it pre-made, but I couldn't think of the name.. Thanks for posting that! I think I've seen it at a local pet supply store (I don't think my PetsMart or Petco has it, though), but I got mine online.

http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Health-.../dp/B000OUY5L6

Thanks, i am going to look for the K-9 liquid health ear solutions and give it a try. Gracie is terrible about cleaning her ears, I just go near them and she gets mad any suggestions on keeping her still. my first lab always had one problem or another w her ears...but she always let me put meds in with no fuss or struggle. Gracie sees the ear wash bottle and runs.

I would go slow with her.. bring the bottle and cotton balls, sit on the floor and give her some treats when she comes towards you. Then play with her ears, give her treats, etc.

Might also help if you have another person to distract her while you do it, maybe with treats and praise?

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I knew they sold it pre-made, but I couldn't think of the name.. Thanks for posting that! I think I've seen it at a local pet supply store (I don't think my PetsMart or Petco has it, though), but I got mine online.

http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Health-Solutions-Cleaner-Inc/dp/B000OUY5L6
    Sure! Anytime! I couldn't remember the name, either. But I did remember someone posted it in the health section a couple of weeks ago. LOL I bought it at the local pet supply store a couple of years ago(the one Amy/jrzgrlduff goes to also).

I would go slow with her.. bring the bottle and cotton balls, sit on the floor and give her some treats when she comes towards you. Then play with her ears, give her treats, etc.

Might also help if you have another person to distract her while you do it, maybe with treats and praise?
    Also, try doing it in the bathroom. Seriously, something about being in a smaller room with the door closed, and all struggles seem to stop. Caleb literally just sat in one spot as soon as I closed the door. Mick did the same thing when I had to clean and medicate a hot spot when he was a pup.

Thanks I am going to try that, I have only cleaned her ears once and she sees that bottle and runs. I am going to try the bathroom today, I think that might help. I hope the local pet store carries the solution..if not I will make my own. I'll let you know how is goes..Thanks again guys