A neat moment in class the other night
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A neat moment in class the other night

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultA neat moment in class the other night

So Angus and I are doing an Open class. It's beginner's Open, and we are just learning a lot of things. Some things he's doing well at, but he has such a looong way to go.

The instructor asked me a couple of weeks ago when I thought I might start showing him in Open. I just laughed and said, "Well, let's see, it took four years to get him his CD, so maybe when he's about nine?" She laughed and said he might surprise me, and now he has finally gotten out of the Lab puppy stage (still up for debate IMO), and things will go much more quickly now.

Anyway - it's really still inconceivable to me.

At the end of each class we always practice our out of sight stays. We have progressed to the point of real, actual, out of sight on these. We leave the ring, go to the front of the building, go up the stairwell to the upper level and one person stays at the bottom and watches for the signal to come back.

Angus is doing this. Very well I might add.

At the same time as our Open class, there is a Level 1 class in the adjoining ring. They usually have several spectators for this class - spouses and significant others.

As we were returning from the out of sight stays we passed the seated spectators. They were watching our dogs. One of them looked at her friend, shook her head in disbelief, and said, "Amazing. Just amazing."

It reminded me of how inconceivable I once thought this was.

Sometimes we forget just how far we've come. It's really nice to be reminded, and it's important to try to remember and appreciate it even when it is not pointed out to you. You get so caught up in what you are working on at the moment that you forget all those little baby steps that brought you to the point you are at right now.

So who knows, maybe Open is closer than I think.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

That is a good reminder! I bet you two will be in the Open and agility rings in no time

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Samson is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus View Post
    So Angus and I are doing an Open class. It's beginner's Open, and we are just learning a lot of things. Some things he's doing well at, but he has such a looong way to go.

The instructor asked me a couple of weeks ago when I thought I might start showing him in Open. I just laughed and said, "Well, let's see, it took four years to get him his CD, so maybe when he's about nine?" She laughed and said he might surprise me, and now he has finally gotten out of the Lab puppy stage (still up for debate IMO), and things will go much more quickly now.

Anyway - it's really still inconceivable to me.

At the end of each class we always practice our out of sight stays. We have progressed to the point of real, actual, out of sight on these. We leave the ring, go to the front of the building, go up the stairwell to the upper level and one person stays at the bottom and watches for the signal to come back.

Angus is doing this. Very well I might add.

At the same time as our Open class, there is a Level 1 class in the adjoining ring. They usually have several spectators for this class - spouses and significant others.

As we were returning from the out of sight stays we passed the seated spectators. They were watching our dogs. One of them looked at her friend, shook her head in disbelief, and said, "Amazing. Just amazing."

It reminded me of how inconceivable I once thought this was.

Sometimes we forget just how far we've come. It's really nice to be reminded, and it's important to try to remember and appreciate it even when it is not pointed out to you. You get so caught up in what you are working on at the moment that you forget all those little baby steps that brought you to the point you are at right now.

So who knows, maybe Open is closer than I think.

Dylan is at that stage right now in fact for the last couple of out of sight stays he has been the only one in the class 100% says the proud father !

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dweck is offline Senior Member

Boy does that bring back memories.

I remember showing up for our beginner class, and the advanced class before us was finishing up. And they'd end with sits and downs. And I'd watch those handlers leave their dogs in the middle of the lawn and just walk casually away -- lah-de-dah -- and the dogs would hold.

And I'd look at the wagging, bouncing, slobbering, panting, wild-eyed, goofy, ADD-infected, pacing, mouthy, defiant, uncontrollable THING in the backseat of my car -- this animal that was supposed to be a Labrador Retriever, one of the most intelligent and eager-to-please breeds on the planet -- and I'd sigh a dejected sigh, willing to bet a mortgage payment that my beast would ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER be able to do that.....

Never so happy to be wrong in my whole life.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

joflake is offline Senior Member

For some reason this post made me misty eyed. Good dogs!

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus View Post
    it's the journey not the destination, right?

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

justine is offline Senior Member

Isn't it strange to look back like that? Sometimes happens to me, but Abbey is still very much a crazy lunatic most of the time.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Yep, you are on your way!

I never in a million years thought my dog would do the out of sight sit/stay, but with a lot of practice, they do learn!

Keep up the great training.

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

WTG Angus and Connie.

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

Wow, that is a great heart-warming thread. WTG Connie and Angus!

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast