A thought on the "alpha" dog/person

Thread: A thought on the "alpha" dog/person

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultA thought on the "alpha" dog/person

I don't think I really have an "alpha" dog here anymore. I think I am it.

Paddy was, without doubt, the alpha presence in our home. But after him? None of them, really. All my dogs looked to Paddy to set the tone... the behaviour... the respect for one another. Paddy was that kind of dog. And he didn't really make any moves to enforce it. He just... was.

All 6 of the remaining dogs are pretty mindful of one another, pretty respectful of one another in most ways. Seamus and Flynn pal around and have their own language and rhythm, the beagles have always been their own groupies, the border collie is, well, his sweet and herding self, and the Lhasa (since his personal person is not here any longer) seems kind of lost. He does okay, but it's just not the same for him now.

Hmmm... I could write on this topic forever but I won't.

Hmmmm.... thanks for "listening"

Seamus and Flynn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a perfect combination to me! Paddy sounds like he was such a wonderful guy. BTW, I'm not sure how I missed it, but I didn't realise you had six dogs!
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorable View Post
    Sounds like a perfect combination to me! Paddy sounds like he was such a wonderful guy. BTW, I'm not sure how I missed it, but I didn't realise you had six dogs!
    Awww, Paddy was... remarkable.
    Yes, I have 6 dogs. And a little cat.
    We like each other a lot. A LOT!

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I love to read about dogs' social interactions because I like to compare mine.
    Shea and Flynn are like M&J; they have a special relationship. They have a specific play style with each other, but different with the others. They seem to look after each other. Sorry about Scamp still being down after losing his dad. Does he bond with the other dogs? It's good that he has their company especially whenever you're not home.

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

It is interesting - isn't it?

I am witnessing the roll change here at my home - Clancey now over 12 was the alpha pup. Supreme protector of all, woe to the vacuum/lawn mower that tried to cross his path.

He has now slowed down and his eyesight is definitely going - and Harper is now stepping into the roll - strange how they work it out !

allthatjazz is offline Senior Member

It is fascinating, isn't it? Jazzy is the clear alpha/leader here. She is a presence to the two beagles and lets them know when they are "too much". She isn't the oldest, though, Teddy beag is. Jazzy is my dog too and I have often wondered if that gives her extra status.
    I remember you saying Seamus is your heart dog, but he hasn't "used" that to claim alpha status? Do the others sense that special bond between the two of you? I guess Paddy was so much of a presence no one dog can replace him.
    May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am

Terri and Jazzy

I remember you saying Seamus is your heart dog, but he hasn't "used" that to claim alpha status? Do the others sense that special bond between the two of you?
    Well, he does sort of use his status as "heart dog" to his advantage. But it's in that quiet, commanding (not DEmanding) way that Paddy had. Maybe that's where he learned it. And yes, the others know Seamus is "special". Again, he gets that point across to them in a confident, yet low-key, manner. Even Flynnie gets it!

It's very hard to describe, but I'm sure you understand.

Seamus and Flynn

GinnyR is offline Senior Member

Nance

Give Scamp a big Hug from His Aunt Ginny!!!

I feel that I am the alpha in my house too!!!

When I had Beau he was the alpha dog to Zack and then to Belle before he crossed the rainbow bridge.

I also had my Mom to care for and with Zack's help, we kept Mom safe until she crossed the Bridge to be with my Dad and Beau.

Then the pack made a change, I was still top Dog, but since Zack's job to care for Mom was done, he decided to be a dog again and became a playful and loving pup of 6. He is now 10. His interaction with Belle is endearing, they both kiss each other and Zack loves to clean Belle's ears.

Then my Husband, Jim joined the pack. Jim seems to think that he is the Alpha of the Herd, and I just and say Yes, Dear!!! You are the Alpha Male.

So here is the Alpha Pack member scenario, Me, Jim, Zack and Belle!!!

Ginny