annoying barking

Thread: annoying barking

Defaultannoying barking

here is the quick story. I have a 3 year old chocolate lab-no problems what so ever. She just really likes the ball thrown to her. Last September I got a GSP puppy. No problems at all. A couple of weeks ago I contacted the GSP's breeder (she turned 1 year and I was just going to give her an update). She informed me that a week earlier a guy dropped off my GSP's littermate because he was gun shy and no good at hunting. We ofcourse took him in. We have had him for 3 weeks. 2 weeks ago he was neutered. He listens, is housebroken....but 1 major problem. He barks constantly when we go to the park and throw the ball. I know....just do not take him to the park...this is not a solution. My lab and GSP are used to going to the dog park everyday and as you know both breeds need lots of exercise. He only barks when he is playing

I have tried not paying any attention to him...but he just goes to somebody else who will throw the ball
    The barking gets reinforced when I pick the ball up for my lab and throw it
    I have tried the water bottle and a can with coins....does not work

Any suggestions??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: annoying barking

Over playing fetch can make them obsessive, and obsession can encourage behaviours such as constant barking.

Solution? stop intense games of fetch. As hunting dogs, a GSP's nose is their strong point. If you want to play fetch, play controlled fetch instead. Make them use what they use best - their nose and their brain. Instead of throwing the ball over and over, get yourself a training bumper. Make the dog sit, throw the dummy as far as you can, make the dog wait a few seconds and then send him out for the retrieve. Better still, get someone to help you out. You stay with the dog, person #2 walks away and lays the bumper on the ground somewhere. You then send to the dog in for the retrieve.

This type of exercise is FAR more productive for them mentally.

it sounds like this being only at the park that he is over excited. have you tried to take just him? does he do this when alone? If he does then working with him and his manors sit and stay will work wonders.

another opinion being he was a return, my guess is that he would bark and the prior family would throw the ball this re-enforced his comand to toss the ball. This is much like one of the labs I have. We were forced to prevent any sound of any kind of bark from coming from any of our dogs. we would try to ignore her but that only made it worse so we had to toss that darn ball. While out at the park if others are tossing a ball and he barks at them to toss the ball see if they can help by dropping the ball and turning their backs until he is quiet. may have to go when it is the quietest at the park for this to work. but in time with the turning of the back it does work. this is how we had to break our girl of this exact issue.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Get some ear plugs

A friend has a german short haired pointer and I respect you for having two. Boy are they hyper and intense! He takes her with us on our mountain biking weekends and she runs all the way around us, back and forth ALL the way!

But back to the barking, my old Brownie was like that, she would bark her head off out of excitement when she saw me, when she wanted me to play fetch or even to pet her. It was annoying, I was never able to solve the problem. She only did it with me though, she loved me like no one else has...

Thanks for the suggestions. I think is exactly what the previous owners did. I want to contact them so bad and ask some questions (I do have his name and number). We went today and my husband and I really worked on the sit and then throw. It seemed to work most of the time. but when we went would not throw he would just got to somebody else who would throw the ball for awhile. We will just keep being consistent. My lab is ball obsessed, but is a quiet and hobby. My female GSP spends her time pointing and stalking. I think my male just needs a job.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    Over playing fetch can make them obsessive, and obsession can encourage behaviours such as constant barking.

Solution? stop intense games of fetch. As hunting dogs, a GSP's nose is their strong point. If you want to play fetch, play controlled fetch instead. Make them use what they use best - their nose and their brain. Instead of throwing the ball over and over, get yourself a training bumper. Make the dog sit, throw the dummy as far as you can, make the dog wait a few seconds and then send him out for the retrieve. Better still, get someone to help you out. You stay with the dog, person #2 walks away and lays the bumper on the ground somewhere. You then send to the dog in for the retrieve.

This type of exercise is FAR more productive for them mentally.
    What a helpful post!

I do something similar with one of my labs (the laid back one). To give him something to think about, I point in a direction for him to head for the retrieve. He seems to enjoy looking for my signal rather than just heading straight downfield all the time. I should try this with my rowdy lab, actually. Hmmm!

Seamus and Flynn

He is a wash out from a hunter, that probably means the person took him to a professional at some time. You might want to train him for hunting by doing some things like joining a GSP club or a pointer/setter? club. Often a good trainer who is used to working with high drive dogs like this will be able to work you through thins. Also a trained hunting dog is taught not to bark (It scares away the birds). Check out AKC.org and do a search for pointer/setter hunt test/ field trials in your area and go watch, its really kind of incredible to see them work.

Kelly and Amber and Ready