Just Labradors banner

KATE/Baloo - We need a morning report- Thursday!

4K views 41 replies 25 participants last post by  lisa 
#1 ·
And we all hope it is a good one.

In fact, prompt daily status is what we expect, not any silly thank you cards.

#4 ·
OK OK! :)

Well, I don't really know if today's update is good or bad, to be honest. His UREA went down a little more, from 4.7 to 4.6, which is good. Creatinine however, went up a little, from 117 to 120. So... I don't really know how to take that, and the vet on the phone was sort of neither here nor there on it, you know?

So I'm waiting on our family vet to phone me back and hopefully shed some light on how we should be looking at this. It's looking more and more like he'll need to stay on fluids for a bit of awhile, but I'm working with e-vets and our family vet (who is a mobile vet) to try and figure out if they can stabilize him at a certain level that it would be realistic for me to give him at home via sub-q. Because basically right now what he needs are fluids, meds and monitoring, and we can do that at home, you know? Especially having a mobile family vet who can come see him at home once a day or so to check levels and all that.

So that's where we are now. Thanks for asking. :)

#9 ·
We're at around $1,600 total so far
That's the total cost of his care as of now? That's not bad, I thought it would be alot more. I know here it would.

Thanks for the update. More prayers.

Lesson learned for all - make sure all meds are totally out of reach!!!!

#10 ·
No, Amy that's what's been raised by the kind and generous lab board folk. :) Our bill is about $5,000 in total at the moment, which sucks large, but it will be so worth it to have him back home and healthy again.

#14 ·
No Garth I do not expect that pill to be paid in full, not even close, and thats OK, really. We appreciate all the help we can get, as it makes such a big difference not only financially but towards our morale too. Knowing there are people out there who care enough about our baby to want to help feels so good and helps keep spirits up when they threaten to crash again. So for all those reasons, we are supremely thankful. :)

#15 ·
When we had that horrible surgery on our first lab, Annie, and all the hospitalization that followed, our bill was over $13,000. Once it was over (had her PTS), both the vet and the ortho surgeon whacked off a huge chunk from the bill. As a matter of fact, they only charged us for the meds and supplies. (which still left the final bill at $8,000).

My point is, after this is over and you get the final bill, ask them if they can make an adjustment for you. I bet they will.

#23 ·
This is a very amusing thread, from $5000 pills to counterfeit Australian currency. :D

I am so glad to hear that so many people have come forward and donated! That's awesome! I hope a few more will help out as well. If every one of us gave just a little bit, what a huge difference it would make.

#33 ·
Kate, I wouldn't worry about the slight increase at all. Though I am sure you want them all to come down!

I do believe that that is still within the normal range. Having had kidney probs before with the kid, small increases don't worry me much anymore.

#39 ·
Thanks for the update Kate. I'm sure you hope it was much better but I am glad to hear that he is holding his own. I wouldn't worry too much about the slight increase in creatine, it is probably within the sensitivity of the assay (don't know for sure, but just a guess).

Go Baloo!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.