Why you should be with your dog even in a fenced area...(kinda long)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why you should be with your dog even in a fenced area...(kinda long)

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhy you should be with your dog even in a fenced area...(kinda long)

Hmm so yesterday's evening walk with Buck was quite eventful. We went on our usual route. Did the usual potty and sniff ritual. The pathway we walk on everyday has houses along side it. The fences of the yards on the other side of a mound about 50-100 yards away. So it isn't like we walk right up against these fences. A couple of the homeowners have dogs that like to bark whenever anyone walks on the pathway regardless of whether they see them or not. Not terribly unusual.

So yesterday on our way back home Buck and were across the street on the walk way heading home. I heard a dog bark thought nothing of it and kept going. NExt thing I hear is a loud BAM! I knew right away what it was! A fence door had been busted open I picked up pace with Buck trying to walk away hoping the dog wouldn't notice us. I take a quick look behind us and there's not one but TWO boxer mixes barrelling at us! These two dogs were built solid. We are talking at least 80-90lb muscular dogs. I stand still with all sorts of thoughts racing in my mind. Flash back to last year when Buck got mauled by that pitt. How despite my bf and the other owner being near by I still couldn't keep Buck from getting hurt. And here I am today with Buck, alone, with two ginormous creatures running straight for us.

My initial instinct was to run. But I figured that would make them chase us harder and what if they jump on us? So I stop dead in my tracks bracing for what's to follow. Buck sees them coming and stands on alert.

They reach us and I hear no growling, no barking and take a slight sigh of relief. Both sniff Buck and the one runs off to do his thing. The other sticks around. Continues to sniff Buck and Buck stands quietly. They take turns getting to "know" each other. While I stand there my heart pounding trying to look as calm as possible on the outside. I look around and there is no one there! What do I do with two loose dogs I don't know and mine? I try to move and the dog follows us but very cautiously. I did not like his stance, his look or his attitude. So I stop. I was feeling very desperate. So I calmly start talking to the strange dog. Let him sniff my hands while I ask Buck to sit and leave it. He listens. For once The other dog seems to ease up. His docked stub of a tail moving at a friendlier pace. Finally, the owner pops his head out of the second story window and I yell to him that his dogs are running loose!

He nonchalantly comes to his back yard. Steps out of the gate and calls the one over to him. Then calls the other over. He doesn't even take a second to apologize or thank me. He just goes off into his yard with his dogs and shuts the door behind him.

Buck and I just walk home. My heart still pounding. Buck remained right at my side. He showed no desire to go sniff in the weeds like he usually does. It was almost as if he was saying..."Its ok mom. We are ok. I am right here by your side" All I could do was Thank God that what happened last year didn't happen again. That these dogs didn't break out for a kill. I was also very proud of Buck for being calm and listening to me. We trusted each other and supported each other. It felt good.

I think after last year's attack on Buck I have become much more wary about dogs I do not know.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

I'm so glad this didn't turn out badly for you and Buck. He was probably more scared than you, seeing what happened before. Maybe you should carry a loud horn or something to scare them. Pepper spray? A walking stick? One of those loud police whistles? Just something to startle them just in case? I'm not sure what I would have done. Maybe screamed in their face! And the idiot owners!

joflake is offline Senior Member

BTW, the only reason I'm saying he's an idiot is because he didn't apologize or make sure his gate was locked!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Yeah I have been thinking about it since the whole thing. I need to carry something. The neighborhood is full of dogs and not everyone is responsible about their dogs. I definitely need to carry something. Maybe one of those annoyingly loud horns people use at games? What are they called? They look like a can?

And I definitely woke up this morning going...What an asshat owner for not saying a word about the whole thing. I wasn;t expecting a conversation. But really! A thanks for keeping an eye on one of his dogs or a quick "SORRY!" for not watching them closely would have been nice. Oh well! Bygones. Everyone is safe and that's the most important part!
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I can just imagine how scary that must have been! I am glad all turned out alright and the boxers were friendly!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

How Scary

justine is offline Senior Member

Phew! Glad it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

My heart was pounding just reading that. Seriously!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

lisa is offline Senior Member

Glad everything turned out ok...that is scary especially if you have been through it before. As far as the owner goes...no brains, at least apologize.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

That would scare the living **** out of me. Good for you for staying calm. It probably made all the difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast