Teaching Parker Manners

Thread: Teaching Parker Manners

mombear is offline Senior Member

SmileTeaching Parker Manners

Hi everyone. Haven't been posting here as often as I'd like. Hope all is well. Get well soon Baloo, hope Wes is doing better, and meow to baby Hope.

Need some tips on how to teach Parker some manners. He has mellowed somewhat now that he is two, but I would like to teach him to stop barging ahead of everyone out the door, down the hall, everywhere, everyplace he's got to be first. Can anyone give me some tips? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

My best advice is to teach him to sit, and stay there.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mombear View Post
    Hi everyone. Haven't been posting here as often as I'd like. Hope all is well. Get well soon Baloo, hope Wes is doing better, and meow to baby Hope.

Need some tips on how to teach Parker some manners. He has mellowed somewhat now that he is two, but I would like to teach him to stop barging ahead of everyone out the door, down the hall, everywhere, everyplace he's got to be first. Can anyone give me some tips? Thanks.
    Well you can always jam his head in it lol Seriously I went to shut our back door as Alfie tried to leg it out and his head got wedged...he hasnt run past me or the kids through a doorway or gate since lol!! But I would teach sit, stay and on a lead

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

The door is kind of easy, in my head anyway. 'Sit' him before the door is open, and call him to you after you are through.

For general pulling/lunging, its just more work on loose lead walking. Time and consistency. He pulls, you stop, and or reverse direction. Takes time. Takes consistency.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

lisa is offline Senior Member

Practice and patience...a lot of both of them

oakley is offline Senior Member

Blocking works too. I had to really work on Oakley barging out the door and up the stairs ahead of me. We are still working on it but she is much better and sometimes even waits until I am down the stairs and call her to come before she comes down.
    Now if only I could get her out from underneath my bed when I need to leave for work!

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

These are hard ones. Like everyone has said, it takes practice, practice and then more practice.
    At Teddy's obedience class we were taught the command "no dog." It means you can NOT go through this doorway! We started by putting them in a crate, then opening the door. If they come out before you release, you shut the door in their face. After they have the crate door down, then you work on a door. Again--door shuts in their face if they even look like they are going to come through. It is the one command that Teddy is about 95% reliable on.

Second, I would teach wait. I make both dogs wait when I go down stairs--so that they don't knock me down trying to beat each other down the stairs! I make them wait at the door before we go out--every time. They are not allowed to move until I release. If they do try--it is Ahhh ahhh. and back in to try again. They are usually so anxious to go for a walk (or where ever it is that we are going) that they will do ANYTHING to get to go!
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

I expect a sit-and-wait-for-release from mine, but I use a different command than plain "sit" that is specific to etiquette at doors and gates. I ask "what do we do?" when we get to a door or gate and I won't open it until they are both sitting. Now I rarely have to ask the question, they just sit when they get to a closed door. When they're really excited to be somewhere (daycare, dog park), I do still usually have to ask, though!