Last straw
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last straw

AngryLast straw

I hate to say it, but I'm at the last straw with my dutchy. She has a bad habit of ripping our washing off the clothes line, and so i haven't been putting any washing on the line, but our dryer has broken, so i had to use it. I tried raising the line as high as it would go.. and tied water bombs to the line, an idea i got from another site. She got her little teeth on a pair of my sisters work pants, as well as some underwear. If this keeps up i may have to tie her up when there is washing on the line. Does anyone have any advice that can stop me going this far? Please?

Also, she seems to have worked out selective deafness, does anyone have any advice on ensuring dogs coming when called?

Thanks so much in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

eklind51 is offline Senior Member

don't let her outside when there are clothes on the line.

unfortunately its not an option. She cant be trusted inside alone, and i cant be home with her the whole time things are on the line.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Crate training.

Labs need near constant supervision for a loonngg time. She's a dog, she has no way of knowing that the clothes aren't appropiate playthings if she's not supervised and re-directed. If you can't do that then keep her inside, and crate ehr if you can't watch her.

And a reliable recall comes from good training and adequate proofing.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Well, she's an inside/outside dog and isn't crated. She stays outside with toys while we are at work, as we have rather a large yard and would rather she's able to run around, however if nothing works, she will have to be crated while I'm at work, I'm just worried that i wont always be there to take her out often enough.

Someone on another site advised chilly soaked towels on the line, to deter the behaviour. Thanks.

Garth is offline Registered Users

Get her a cat so she's got something else to chase & take her mind off the washing. Sorry, it's the only solution I can think of.

Slight thread hijack HM, Go & join the Aussie JL'ers group on here. We need some pics of Tassie.

hehe, well she's got a cat to chase, and a rabbit to watch. Not to mention the birds to try to catch.... she's not good at that one, thank god.

And if i knew where the aussie JLs group was.. i would be there.

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by homicidalmaniac View Post
    And if i knew where the aussie JLs group was.. i would be there.
    Click on the "community" tab at the top of the page.

Click on "social groups".

Click on the Aussie map.

Top right corner, "join group".

Easy aye what?

Trickster is offline Senior Member

If pulling clothes off the line is the worst she has done so far while outside alone, I'd say that you have done VERY well. If I had left my outside alone as pups my whole yard would have been destroyed.

Frankly, unless you are there to correct her in the act, there isn't anything you can do. If you must keep her outside while you are gone (I will respect the cultural difference here!), I suggest a secure kennel for her.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Well, I don't know about your girl, but Baloo would LOVE to play with chilly soaked towels. I'm assuming you meant "chilly" as in temperature. If you meant "chili" as in the spice/seasoning, he'd like that even better.

I agree with Trickster. If you leave a young lab unsupervised anywhere, everything is fair game. Also, on the off chance she likes the chilly/chili soaked towels a little TOO much, you risk her actually consuming the fabric and potentially ending up with an obstruction.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast