Lots of work to do with Katie.

Thread: Lots of work to do with Katie.

mommacomet is offline Senior Member

DefaultLots of work to do with Katie.

Well I sure have my work cut out for me as I have lots of work to do with Miss Katie. I believe I am pretty well starting going to have to start from scratch as all I am seeing she knows at this point is SIT. That is coming along much better this evening than it was last night and earlier this morning.
    I am using tiny pieces of kibble as a treat as she is very food motivated! I am not going to give up and going to work with her to the best of my abilities to get her through this. I don't blame her one bit for her behavior. It was her owners fault since she went from being an inside baby with lots of attention to being stuck outside in an 8x8 kennel 24/7 with her only interaction being pretty much being fed and watered.

I am going to order a gentle leader for her tonight before I end up learning what it feels like to either go grass sledding or have an arm ripped out of socket. She is strong willed and does not lead well at all.

Katie at this point is not overly thrilled with the other dogs and especially the cats. We are doing one on one introductions with 2 of us so we each have total control of the other animal. I am also doing the crate thing where one is in the crate and the other not and they can sniff and get to know each other through bars but can't hurt each other. This seems to be helping.

Poor baby acts like when she gets food and water she is dying of hunger and thirst so I am giving her small amounts of food throughout the day and trying to keep her water bowl filled. Its crazy. I don't know whether she just wasn't getting what she needed nutritionally or if it comes down to she never knew when she was going to get her next meal or water and inhaled what she got when she got it. I was wondering if you though since she needs to loose weight ( I am sure from lack of exercise, and poor feeding) about adding salt free green beans to her kibble to help fill her up yet control her calorie intake.

Right now we are hanging out in my room with no one else in here so she is learning that I'm da momma and da momma means business. Of course there is a ton of cuddle time and play time and figuring out that da momma may have a stern voice but she is nothing but a marsh mellow on the inside..LOL

I found out today that Katie will be 4 in Dec. She has been spayed for sure when she was a puppy. This is a new experience for me as normally when I have fostered one this age they are normally much calmer. I am sure a lot of it is just pent up energy from being stuck with no attention in a small kennel.

Any and all suggestions would not only be welcome but I would be very very grateful!

Peg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

excellent start .. take your time and build one block at a time - I really like who careful you are being with intros and how planned you are being

my dogs all eat like PIGS and while a couple have an excuse 2 certainly don't
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

georgie is offline Senior Member

It sounds like you are off to a good start. I know with lots of love she will be wonderful. I read your story on her life before she came to you & I felt so bad for her. Love can overcome just about anything. Keep up the good work. Getting her into a routine may help her and of course exercise. A tired lab is a good lab.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

k8show is offline Senior Member

Katie sounds like a sweet girl. I don't have any good advice, but it sounds like you are doing a fantastic job with her! Keep it up--thank goodness for food motivation. How wonderful that she has found such a caring mommy.
    Katie and Boo