What to bathe them with?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to bathe them with?

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat to bathe them with?

Water and what that I might find in the house? Not sure I want to go out and by a shampoo for dogs.

HK rolled in something over the weekend. We were at the big DP and she is often out of sight into the woods when we go there. I don't know what she rolled in but I am not sure I would have survived the trip home if I didn't have the convertible top down. Phew!

I hosed and rubbed her down three times before I was able to let her in the house. It wasn't a skunk, I know that smell. I think it was a dead something.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Eeeew. Try mixing one cup vinegar (or lemon juice) with one cup water and rubbing that into her fur. Then rinse it off well after ten minutes, repeat as necessary. Take care to avoid her eyes.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Suck it up, Ed -- buy a bottle of dog shampoo. It'll last for years. I use it on spots that still stink after being flushed with water.

Below is a post I've often made.

I'm sensitive about using human shampoo on dogs because I made that mistake with my black Lab, Bess. I used baby shampoo on her in the misguided belief it was gentle. As a result, she had fairly constant dandruff -- no doubt from the skin irritation caused by the shampoo (which I didn't realize until Puff).

The link below describes the pH scale which is the scientific measure of how acidic or alkaline a substance is. The scale ranges from 0.0 (most acidic) through 7.0 (neutral, like distilled water) to 14.0 (most alkaline AKA base/basic)

http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/184ph.html

The graph in the link below compares the pH values for humans and various animals. You'll note that human skin has a pH value around 4.8 (acidic) while Labrador skin has a pH around 6.8.

Since pH values are on a logarithmic scale, a value on the scale that differs from another by as much as 1.0 (say 6.1 and 7.1 or 8.6 and 9.6) is 10X that of another that's 1.0 distant. So, since the skin of humans and Labradors are 2 whole integers apart (4.8 to 6.8 ) that's 10 x 10 = 100; so human skin is 100 times more acidic than Labrador skin.

http://publications.royalcanin.com/r...ession=6478160

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 08-31-2009 at 04:56 PM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Ive heard toothpaste and water helps...or is it mouthwash?

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Bob,

I can't do it.

This is the first time in HKs 2.5 years that I felt the need to wash her with a shampoo. Although I spend plenty on my dear HK, I can't have that stuff in my house.

See, my DD has this Cockapoo named Louie. That beast needs regular shampoos. DD has been taking him to a groomer for them and for his haircut. If she finds out that I have doggie shampoo in the house, guess who is going to be made to feel bad for not giving Louie his shampoos?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

1/2 water, 1/2 Listerine mix.
    (And what a lame excuse for not buying proper dog shampoo.)

Seamus and Flynn

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

The Listerine and water mixture should work for anything stinky.

When Bauer rolls in something smelly I bathe him in the kid's bathroom (I don't want him in mine ). We have some dog shampoo that smells like green apples, and I accidentally left it out once. My son's friend went in the shower, and I immediately remembered the shampoo. When he came down, I asked him which shampoo he used. He said, I don't know I think it smelled like apples. Apparently the dog on the label didn't tip him off. So apparently you can't use human shampoo on dogs, but you can use dog shampoo on humans.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

justine is offline Senior Member

I would try a little bit of mouthwash mixed with water. I have some made up in a spray bottle in case Abbey gets stinky in between swims. It really deodorizes any smell and the minty smell goes away pretty quickly.

Abbey rolls in dead stuff and poop a lot. The last time it was a dead baby bird. I think it was rotten. Icky!

I don't think I'd want my dog to smell like vinegar, though I've heard good things.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Another vote for Listerine and water. Angus once rolled in dead fish at the lake. JL instructed me to use Listerine and water. Smell gone instantly.

I have not needed it since, but I will never be without a bottle again.

MNLab is offline Senior Member

We use the Listerine/Water too. I keep a spray bottle of it on hand, and I use it at the dog shows. It also cuts visable dandruff pretty well, too.
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast