Dixie, the 3 legged Lab

Thread: Dixie, the 3 legged Lab

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultDixie, the 3 legged Lab

On our early morning walk on the trails in the nature preserve, Puff and I saw suddenly saw a fox red Yellow Lab coming toward us, followed by its owner.

The 2 dogs froze, then advanced toward each other wagging tails, froze again, adavanced close enough to sniff each other, then Puff invited the other dog to chase her (offer accepted).

As the dogs raced up and down the trail and through the brush and tall grasses on each side, I noticed the other Lab had only one front leg. I asked her owner about it and he said he'd gotten her from the pound (animal shelter) at about 6 months age (she's now 6 years old). Before he adopted her, she'd been hit by a car and her leg was amputated.

Gosh, she's fast -- almost as fast as Puff. No sign of limping or distress. She's 60 lbs/27 kg, about Puff's size and build (Field line, lean & lanky), and very energetic.

We chatted about how great the nature preserve is for walking dogs and I invited and gave him directions to bring Dixie to our Saturday Labfests.

Hope they come.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Good story Bob. I find it rewarding when I meet someone that has cared for a dog like that. We have two three legged friends at the DP I frequent. Both lost a rear leg to bone cancer. Loss of a rear leg does slow them down a bit, but the dogs don't seem to care. They are still happy and playful.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

MNLab is offline Senior Member

How cool!
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

That's a sweet story. Bless those people for adopting her!

One of Kevin's cousins adopted a Lab puppy who was born without one of his front legs. He doesn't get around nearly as well as it sounds like Puff's new friend does. I can't imagine him in a game of chase. He's very spirited and loves to play, but he just doesn't walk very well (much less run) and does a lot of stumbling. I wonder what the difference is.

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

How nice that he adobted that lab.