Our club's first event is over....lots of good stories!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our club's first event is over....lots of good stories!

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

DefaultOur club's first event is over....lots of good stories!

Well, our Fishing Creek Outfitters Throwdown is over. It was a HUGE success!! We had 186 registrations (jumpers) and raised over $1400.00 for our charity, Chase Away Canine Cancer.

Lots and lots of local newbies came out to try it for the first time ever.....and we found some awesome jumpers. Extreme Vertical, Speed Retrieve, and Pro Finals were all won by local dogs who had never done any dock diving....ever!

What an awesome way to spend the weekend.

Anyway, we had no trouble from PETA or that crazy lady who wrote the letter to the editer. I'll post pics later. And there is one absolutely hilarious thing that happened. But I'll save that story for another post and hopefully can find a pic somewhere that someone took. I will say that it involved Hoppy on the dock!

And speaking of Hoppy, he was AWESOME as the Chase Away Donation Dog. I'd take him up on the dock with his vest and talk it up and then someone would work the crowds with him. Kids were putting money in his vest and he was giving out the kisses all day. He loved it!

Okay, now for the only "problem." I was sitting in the Admin Tent right at the entrance. We didn't sell tickets or anything...it was free for spectators. As people walked in, they were all excited.

Well, I saw 4 or 5 people come in carrying a small crate full of little lab puppies. I thought "OH SH!T" because I knew exactly what they were there for.

I went over to them and asked them about the puppies and they readily said they were there to sell them. I told them that we couldn't have that at our event and they would have to leave. They said the owner of the store (our sponsor) had said they could bring the puppies to sell.

(Our event was in a lot behind his store.) So I told them that if he said they could sell them, then they needed to take the puppies up in front of his store...that they did not have permission to do that on our event property.

Well, they did nothing. They just kept walking and talk amongst themselves.

Okay, I had acted in my capacity as PR person. It was my job to handle anything tactfully and show respect to everyone. But they obviously weren't going to show the same respect back to us. So I called in the big guns....hubby.

Well, he went up to them and in no tact or niceness at all, told them they would have to leave...now! And they started to walk off through the small parking lot behind the store where the event staff was parked. We thought it was over.

About 5 minutes later, I saw them set up again behind our (the staff) parked cars. Got hubby again. This time, he blasted them good and told them that if they didn't leave, he was calling the cops....that if we could see them anywhere behind the store, he was calling the cops and having them removed.

They got all pi$$ed and left. I also got a nasty email they next day.

But it just breaks my heart to think of those puppies and what is possibly or probably in store for them.

Okay, next story about this weekend will be the super hilarious funny Hoppy story!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

Aww sounds like you had fun.. minus the idiots. Stupid BYB.. I would have gotten mad, but I think I would have been more sad for those puppies..

MNLab is offline Senior Member

I'm so glad for the success of the event, Nancy! WONDERFUL!
    I'm glad you and your hub let those idiots have it, but I sure feel bad for the fate of those pups!
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dexter Dogg is offline Senior Member

Sounds like the event was a great success! Encouraging to hear all the newcomers doing so well!!

Good job on telling those people to leave. Makes me sad to think of those poor pups.

- Dave

Nallah06 is offline Senior Member

Wow, sounds like an amazing weekend Nancy!!

Minus the idiots trying to sell puppies! We ran into the same problem at one of our events earlier this summer. WRONG place to be selling puppies. WTG Nancy & hubby for telling them off!
    Loved by Kelley
    Nallah (8/6/2006)
    Morgan (5/17/2008)
    Remi (7/3/2010)

CJs Mom is offline Senior Member

I'm glad your first event was a succes. Hope you get to have many more!
    Laura & CJ in New Hampshire

Cabot is offline Junior Member

(crowd cheering) Hoppy! Hoppy!

Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

Nancy,
    Glad your event was such a success. I just saw this posting on our Houston Area DockDog forum. One of our members attended and this was their "review":

Betsy and I attended the most awesome club hosted event this past weekend in Milledgeville Georgia. Competition was hosted by a club where only about 25% of their club members had ever attended a dockdog event. I would rate this event right up there with national events I've attended. They had waves with 30 or more competitors sometime. There were at least 9 speed retrieve competitors and about 8 EV competitors. Had a blast despite the rains on Friday and as we finished on Sunday. Lots of new competitors. Finally had the opportunity to meet Sir Harley and his owner Jay from Carolina dockdogs and others from the North Carolina club

Duke and Freckles at their country home

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a great event. Sorry about the idiots.

*runs out looking for Hoppy story*

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clanceycanuck View Post
    Sounds like a great event. Sorry about the idiots.

*runs out looking for Hoppy story*
    I haven't found the Hoppy story, so if you find it . . . please share!

Personally, I think she is trying to keep us in suspense.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast