Collar Suggestions?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collar Suggestions?

mommacomet is offline Senior Member

DefaultCollar Suggestions?

I just talked to Ryan and I get Katie at 2 on Sunday. I asked if she needed anything before I got there and he said she has no collar or lead as he never used them that often. When he did use a collar he used a choke chain. I have never in 43 years have used a choke chain on a dog. It was always either a harness, reg. collar and we had a newf mix we adopted from the pound on his last day when the kids were little that we used a gently leader on. All he could tell me is I would probably need a large or xlarge.

Any and all suggestions welcome! I know nothing about choke chains.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I don't like choke collars - they are only supposed to be used for training anyway. Get a flat buckle collar.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I love limited slip collars. They will tighten a small amount if a dog pulls so the collar won't slip over the head. It's hard to find but the ones with buckles are the best because they'll break at the plastic buckle if they get caught on anything.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

I use a flat collar on Remy with a no-pull harness. We've had some limited success with a martingale, but he gets so excited for people that we've had to use the harness to keep him from knocking people over. He's still a puppy though and she's older so maybe she won't be so tuggy.
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

dweck is offline Senior Member

You'll get a thousand opinions on this. Flat-buckle-nylon-leather-pinch-training-slip-martingale-harness-ezwalk...

My advice: Get a high-quality leather collar with a secure buckle and see how it goes. If you have trouble w/the dog maintaing heel position, then try something else. My recommendation is for a training collar (choke-chain, although I hate that name because, if they're doing the job properly, they're not supposed to choke!), but others here will have their favorites as well.......

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you need to pick up some kind of cheap flat buckle collar to pick him up. When you get home, you can measure and get the right size expensive collar of your choice.

You will have to assess the pulling. If its not there, any collar of your choice. If it is, then your choices get focused at prong, martingale, gentile leader, or that choke collar most of us don't like.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

my guys have had them all, choke, pinch, flat, slip, martingale...I just broke down and bought an easy walk harness...it works great for my big 80 lb. girl that likes to pull. She also has a flat collar; a pretty girlie one, with her tags and info attached to it.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rayluckgoo View Post
    I love limited slip collars. They will tighten a small amount if a dog pulls so the collar won't slip over the head. It's hard to find but the ones with buckles are the best because they'll break at the plastic buckle if they get caught on anything.
    I agree

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

I use training collars for our daily walks and whenever we go out. Both dogs are leash trained so they now the consequences of pulling and rarely do it. At home they are always "naked"

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I use martingales for the no-slip factor, and I like how they sit on their neck. I have found them to be pretty useless training-wise, though, but I use the front connection harnesses and good old fashioned training for that.

Get her a pretty buckle one, she deserves it.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast