Poor Sammi got bit on her ear today! A little long
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor Sammi got bit on her ear today! A little long

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultPoor Sammi got bit on her ear today! A little long

We were coming back from the river, her and her pal Bella were tired and just chilling- we had put them on lead as we were heading to the car. This guy was coming with two Doberman, off lead- obviously we were keeping an eye on them- but one of them came running up to us. Sammi thinking it was play time went up to him and before I knew it he was on her and I heard a yelp! The owner was right there pulled him off and apologized before I could say anything he was gone!! I did a quick check of Sammi thinking everything was o.k, we headed on, a little shook but no worse for the wear, then I saw the blood. Crap Sammi had a puncture wound on her ear that I had missed - long story short, thank goodness for "quick stop", that dang thing wouldn't stop bleeding- its not suturable, the bleeding would stop with pressure and time, but everytime she shook her head it started up again and the blood would go everywhere- After a through cleaning and quick stop, all is good- any other suggestions other then watching for infection! I have antibiotics here for for her- always keep them on hand because you never know. Do you think I should start her on them? I'm used to fixing humans, not as comfortable with my pup Its keflex used for wounds and skin infection- thanks for any advice- Di

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

boonesmom is offline Senior Member

no help--just wanted to say "poor sammi" give her a big kiss and hug from us. damn doberman !!!

boone and joann
    oregon

CJs Mom is offline Senior Member

Poor Sammi. (sorry no advice)
    Laura & CJ in New Hampshire

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

I have antibiotics here for for her- always keep them on hand because you never know. Do you think I should start her on them?
    Yep. God knows what diseases (if any) that dog was carrying. That's one of my biggest hatreds is these morons that can't/wont control their own dogs. Pity you couldn't get his car rego, hunted him down & had him prosecuted for not having his dog under control.

Get well soon Sam.

Di

Quote Originally Posted by boonesmom View Post
    no help--just wanted to say "poor sammi" give her a big kiss and hug from us. damn doberman !!!
    Thanks Joann, the weird thing is it happened so fast it wasn't until I was back at the jeep that I realized the guy never did leash his dogs up, nor do I remember him even having a leash. Not sure how I should of handled it, but wish I would of said something to him, it just happened so quickily...

boonesmom is offline Senior Member

I know what you're saying--I always come up with great things to say after the fact. That'a probably a good thing !!!

Hope Sammi is doing okay. Keep me posted.

boone and joann
    oregon

Di

Thxs Joann- I called her vet and she wanted her started on the antibiotic- so its done- I'll watch her for infection and make sure it doesn't keep bleeding! Man do you know how far blood can shake from a dogs ear!! YIKES!! DH and I were a mess, he said it looked like a crime scene I'll keep you undated- Di

justine is offline Senior Member

Ugh. People with dogs that aren't friendly and BITE other dogs for no reason just piss me off. They are the reasons that a lot of places don't allow dogs at all, let alone off leash.

And now because of that moron, Sammi has a hole in her ear. Poor girl.

I would use an antiseptic cleaner, chlorhexidine or povidone-iodine and make sure that everything's clean... once or twice a day. You could probably do Neosporin for a couple days, too.

How big is the wound? Just a bite-size wound from a canine tooth? I might even cover it up if she is outside playing around and might get some dirt or something in it.

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by dipete View Post
    Man do you know how far blood can shake from a dogs ear!! YIKES!! DH and I were a mess, he said it looked like a crime scene
    Sure do. When I was about 8 or 9, my 1st Pug was attacked by a bull terrier when I took him for a walk to the local shop. If a guy hadn't come running out of the shop & kicked the damned thing off, my dog would have been killed. I've had a bad attitude about those dogs ever since. As usual, there was no sign of the owner anywhere.

Di

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    Ugh. People with dogs that aren't friendly and BITE other dogs for no reason just piss me off. They are the reasons that a lot of places don't allow dogs at all, let alone off leash.

And now because of that moron, Sammi has a hole in her ear. Poor girl.

I would use an antiseptic cleaner, chlorhexidine or povidone-iodine and make sure that everything's clean... once or twice a day. You could probably do Neosporin for a couple days, too.

How big is the wound? Just a bite-size wound from a canine tooth? I might even cover it up if she is outside playing around and might get some dirt or something in it.
    Thanks Justine, yep I have all of that stuff- I cleaned it really good, the problem is now I have the quick stop on it and am afraid to wash it off and start it bleeding again- I'm going to leave it tonight- then wash it again tomorrow really good- then if It gets to bleeding again I'll re-use the quick stop. The wound is actually at the tip of her ear, a puncture with a small tear more of an evulsion lac, nothing really that could be sutured together- but we all know those ears can bleed

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast