Late to take from breeder?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late to take from breeder?

DefaultLate to take from breeder?

Hey guys - so I'm going to be moving house and have just so much stuff going on at the time that my little Chocolate boy is supposed to come home, I was wondering if you see any issues with leaving him with the breeder for a few extra weeks (probably to 10 weeks instead of 8)?

I can see a few issues myself, like he won't have his brothers and sisters to play with anymore (Mummy will be there for sure though), and will be missing some of his most valuable socialization time with his new family... is this a really bad idea?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

If the breeder agrees to it, I don't see a problem. People have bonded with pups and dogs a lot older with no problem. It makes sense to wait until you are moved in rather than have to kennel or crate the pup. With so much confusion that goes with moving it's smart not to pick it up until after all the commotion is over.

Thanks Rush - I think that's what I am hoping as well, just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't have any lasting impact. I know that the early days are really important and though my heart says "come home with us!" my head knows that he would be better off in a more stable environment

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

We picked Sammi up when she was a little over 9wks old because I was out of town for a class at week 8. She did have mom and a littermate still with the breeder, but I don't really think the 1 wk. made any differance at all. Have fun with you new little one!

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

10 weeks is great, so long as the breeder continues to take care of the littles, even better if he/she is keeping a puppy and/or if the breeder allows mom to play with.

I kept a puppy plus kept another puppy (who had to have some teeth pulled) until 11 weeks. They're great on their own now, and the owners were glad that their puppy came crate trained and with a good concept of a schedule!
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post
    10 weeks is great, so long as the breeder continues to take care of the littles, even better if he/she is keeping a puppy and/or if the breeder allows mom to play with.

I kept a puppy plus kept another puppy (who had to have some teeth pulled) until 11 weeks. They're great on their own now, and the owners were glad that their puppy came crate trained and with a good concept of a schedule!
    I agree, the bonus for us was that Sammi was crate trained, had a schedule and was pretty much potty trained-she only had a hand full of accidents once she was home

labby is offline Senior Member

I've sold puppies when they were 10 or 12 weeks of age and they didn't have a problem.

Laura

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Gryphon was 9.5 weeks old when he came home. I don't think we miss any valuable bonding time. He was a big love bug then and still is.
    Kim

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

HK came home at 10 weeks. She is just as fine as she could be.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

MNLab is offline Senior Member

Daisy came with me at 9 wks (closer to 9.5 actually) and she's wonderful!
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast