Hello ~ Small introduction and questions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello ~ Small introduction and questions

mommacomet is offline Senior Member

QuestionHello ~ Small introduction and questions

Hi ~ My name is Peg and I am from Ohio. I came here to learn more about labs. Of all the rescues I have ever had I have never had a lab. Normally smaller dogs or Goldens or Saints.

I have done rescue for many years and a friend called me yesterday saying her cousin has a lab that needs to be re homed immediately and if I could take her in until I could find her a home that would be wonderful. I have had many breeds but never a lab. I honestly have been looking for a golden retriever myself as our precious Madison went to rainbow bridge last Aug. But I am trying to have a open mind and heart with this girl and we will see where it all leads. She called me on the 1 yr anniversary of our Madison's death and it looks like I very well may be picking her up on Madison's birthday.

Reason for rehoming Katie is her daddy remarried and not only did they move but he gained 4 children so now its 2 adults and 5 kids in a small 3 bedroom house, and a smaller dog (his wife's) and poor Katie has been went from being the center of his attention and living inside to not getting much attention at all and stuck outside in a a kennel.

More about Katie
    3 yo English black lab
    Spayed and utd on her shots (sending me registration and vet records)
    Housebroken & Crate trained
    Trained in obedience and agility
    Gun friendly and has been hunting (tone trained)
    Loves water and balls

I would appreciate any help at all. I am composing a list of questions to ask him when I pick her up. I do know that I will be switching her food over as he has her on puppy chow. I feed Exclusive Lamb and Rice to mine but am open for any food recommendations.

Thank you for having me here.

Peg:

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

Hi & welcome. Katie sounds like a sweetheart. I would imagine after three years she may have some adjustment issues with a new place. But my friend rehomed an 8 year old and she was so nervous but it worked out great. Gromet bonded with my friend easily and they are now the best of friends. You will get alot of good advice & answers to questions you may have on this forum. We will need some pictures of Katie.

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

Sounds like she comes "pre-assembled" so to speak. I bet you will fall in love with her. Let us know how it all goes. :-)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by ruff n tumble crew View Post
    Sounds like she comes "pre-assembled" so to speak.
    A pre assembled dog! That's

She might not have such a hard time adjusting as you think. I've adopted 3 old dogs over the years the latest being my 11 yo GSD. She was an outside dog 24/7 for 10 years. The only human contact she had was when her owners were outside or went out to feed her. The day I got her, I brought her home & the 1st thing she did was pick up a toy & went out the dog door wanting me to play fetch.

She's being an inside dog ever since & she knows she can do whatever the hell she likes (and does).

My bet is when you get a sample of what it's like to have a Lab, you'll want to keep her. Good luck!

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Oooh. Katie sounds great.
    I'm sure that she'll thrive in your home and I would bet that she'll adapt fairly quickly.

Welcome to the forum and Good luck!

Bella

Kelnrox is offline Junior Member

Good Luck, I am sure once you get her there will be no problem. Should be easy if she is already crate trained as well as obedience and agility. I think the only thing you really need to be concerned with as a new lab owner is to keep them stimulated. They are problem solvers, and find lots of ways to solve the problem of boredom.

As far as food goes, with a lab, I prefer something lower in fat than Lamb. I feed Salmon myself.

AZLAB is offline Senior Member

Try her on the lamb food. A lot of labs eat it with no trouble. It caused ear allergies in my Cinnamon and so we switched her to grain free with chicken which solved the problem.

I think given half a chance your new little one will become the center of you family. Labs are so much fun. We call Cinnamon Miss Happy Butt as we have never had a dog that wagged its tail half as much. She is always a happy loving dog but the can be stuborn when they want their own way.

Please come her often post pictures and let us know how it is working out. You will get excellant advise here.

Again welcome and I hope Katie fits in to your home.
    Karon and Cinnamon

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Welcome, and thanks for rescuing Katie.

She sounds like a treasure, and I'm sure she'll appreciate the attention! Labs are really people dogs, so if you have her live inside, give her love, keep her mentally stimulated and help her work off her physical energy, I'm sure she'll be so happy to be with you that the adjustment time will be minimal. She may have some tummy upset when you switch foods, so you might want to consider doing it gradually with what she's already eating.

Are you planning on foster only, or are you open to a permanent situation? Because it's easy to be a "foster-failure" when it comes to labs! And she really sounds like a great one. Pics when you get a chance, too.

mommacomet is offline Senior Member

LOL Well considering I have five foster failures in my family now....I am always open to being a permanent forever home for her.

All of my foster failures except for one were well over the 2 yo mark when they came here to live. We have Jack who came here a year ago Jan at the age of 8 in lue of being sent to the pound because he had tried to play with their show rabbits and several of them lost their lives (they broke their own necks trying to get away even though they were caged) and the wife was afraid her husband would kill him when he got home from work so I ran and picked him up. Tinker our now 12 yo min pin came from our neighbors. They swore she couldn't be housebroke and put her outside ina kennel 24/7 and after several years I finally convinced them to let me find her a home. That was about 6 years ago (and was housebroke in about a week and even loves to go bye bye and they said she hated it..LOL). Lucy is an 11 yo Min Dachshund who joined our family about 5 years ago. Hubby fell in love with her..LOL enough said on that one. Spunky who is our 12 yo chihuahua came to use about 7 years ago from an abusive situation. I knew if he ever left here he would be put down because he has a really bad temperament. He still only likes my 18yo son. He tolerates me but still has no use for my husband or other 2 sons and lets it be known. Callie came to us as a 6wk old pup. My brother was looking for a puppy and I found a lady that had 2 basset mix puppies left. When I went to get one I heard her hubby say that he was going to take the last one to the pound so they both came home with me. My brother has her sister Caitlyn. We hadn't had a puppy in our house in many many years and we all just fell in love with her so he just joined our family. LOL We also have 3 cats Snugs is 17yo, (hubby found him at work by a dumpster) Pumpkin is somewhere in her mid teens from what the vet tells us. She was at the pound and going to be put down because they said she wasn't friendly....she is too friendly some days..LOL and Snow came to our house this year on mothers day as a dirty, very skinny little kitten with an attitude. I have never had an issue with getting an older dog and that honestly is the least of my worries.

I am trying to go into this foster situation with a totally open heart and mind. My girlfriend who knew how much I was looking for another golden (ours passed away a year ago at 12 due to cancer) told me to look at her as Black Gold..LOL In many ways I am leary but I am also very excited to see how this all pans out. I am getting our room rearranged to add another doggy bed (although they have full use of my chaise lounge as well..lol), I have put up another crate if she so chooses. I am picking up a small bad of her current food so I can switch her over gradually. I have ordered her
    a couple of those floating retriever dummy's for water play and of course I will pick up a new name tag for her as well. Where I am picking her up at is only about 10 miles from a Superpetz so I may just buzz over there as soon as I get her to buy her anything else I feel her little heart desires and prezzies from her for her new foster/perm siblings..LOL

I am going to sit and go through the site and see what all I can absorb and make notes. I just want to make sure whether she is a permanent part of our family or if she would be better in another home I know as much as possible about her breed so I know she is getting the best home in the world.

Thanks so much for all your wonderful welcomes.

Peg

kelli is offline Senior Member

Good luck, Peg.. please come back and keep us posted!

I'm a foster failure too!

kelli, tucker and koda

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast