puppy biting HELP!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: puppy biting HELP!!!!

Defaultpuppy biting HELP!!!!

We cannot seem to get Charlie to stop biting/nipping. Most of the time its in a playful manner, however recently he seems to be biting on purpose and won't let off. Even when we put toys infront of his face he goes after arms/legs.

Whenever he bites or nips we say "no teeth" and scold him but it doesn't seem to help any.

Any suggestions? He is rarely left alone maybe few hours a day during errands and such.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

How old is he? My Gracie is still some what mouthy and she is 8 months old, she was a very bitey puppy, mostly during play...but sometimes out of frustration. She is def improving with age and constant correction, I use "no bite". I also try to distract w toys as well. sometimes I even just leave the room and ignore her for a bit...this seems to do the trick. If you have a crate you could place him there in a "time out" . I am sure it is something that will get better

Samson is offline Senior Member

What Lisa said !

Keep correcting him and buy some steel gauntlets !

He'll get the message soon enough.

Make a LOT of noise to show your displeasure just like his litter mates would !

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

What worked best for us was stopping play when Charlotte got too rough. We always play in a room that's baby gated, and when she gets too rough we give a "Yikes! Ouch!" stand up and leave. Five minutes of dishes, folding clothes, whatever, and then we go back to play again. They get the idea pretty quickly that if they want to keep their playmates they won't bite so hard.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Thanks for the support and advice, Charlie is only 9 weeks today.

I will heed your advice and hopefully we can stop this before it gets worse.

MnMsMom9902 is offline Senior Member

To make you feel better... We brought Miko home when she was 8-wks old. We almost renamed her "Jaws" ! My husband and I have raised puppies before, but nothing prepared us for Miko's mouthing.

Well, Miko is now almost 5-months old, and we are happy to say that the nipping and the biting have definitely improved, but not to say that it has completed gone away.

kelli is offline Senior Member

How old was Charlie when you brought him home?

kelli, tucker and koda

Quote Originally Posted by kelli View Post
    How old was Charlie when you brought him home?
    7 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by MnMsMom9902 View Post
    To make you feel better... We brought Miko home when she was 8-wks old. We almost renamed her "Jaws" ! My husband and I have raised puppies before, but nothing prepared us for Miko's mouthing.

Well, Miko is now almost 5-months old, and we are happy to say that the nipping and the biting have definitely improved, but not to say that it has completed gone away.
    Yeah yesterday he was surely trying my patience, and since I haven't had a full sleep since we got him, I am a bit on edge.

I yelled really loud when he bit me yesterday and left the room. I'll keep using the "ouch" and walking away if he does bite during play time.

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

Consistent correction! Jeb was very bitey. My arms were abused badly. At 2.5years he's still mouthy but not nearly as often nor nearly as painful. Hang in there. It will get better. I would correct then give appropriate toy to chew. If we held his mouth closed it made him worse so a stern correction followed by a toy over time worked. I think some are more bitey than others. On rare occasions he will still throw a temper tantrum (rolls over and tries to bite). this is a lab who doesn't have a mean bone but is very determined to do thinigs his own way.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jebsmama View Post
    Consistent correction! Jeb was very bitey. My arms were abused badly. At 2.5years he's still mouthy but not nearly as often nor nearly as painful. Hang in there. It will get better. I would correct then give appropriate toy to chew. If we held his mouth closed it made him worse so a stern correction followed by a toy over time worked. I think some are more bitey than others. On rare occasions he will still throw a temper tantrum (rolls over and tries to bite). this is a lab who doesn't have a mean bone but is very determined to do thinigs his own way.
    Ha, Jeb sounds like Gracie's personality twin. I agree about holding the mouth shut...that only made things much worse. A stern NO, followed by a toy and walking away for a while is what is working best for us too. It really does get better, I promise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast