DinoVite

Thread: DinoVite

Barney and Bailey is offline Senior Member

DefaultDinoVite

Has anyone ever used this before? We're having issues, but this is so expensive we'd like some feedback before we try it.

If you have any other suggestions, we'd really appreciate it. One of our labs has itchy, dry skin and is scratching sores on his ears. The other one just shakes her ears all the time and the vet says there is nothing wrong with her ears.

I'm cross posting this in Lab Chat, too, so hopefully more people see it.

thanks for any help you can give us.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bacsibob is offline Senior Member

We had a golden retriever (RIP) whose "hot spots" and skin issues were 95% deminished when we switched to a lamb and rice food. We then dealt with our lab smelling pretty rank. We now have two labs and a nearly toothless 12 y/o cocker who do very well on a chicken and rice kibble.

Labs: The Natural Antidepressant

Thanks for the response. We fed lamb and rice about three years ago before we got Barney, then we went to Natural Balance Duck and Potato. But they just changed the formula and one wouldn't even touch it and the other tried to eat it and threw up every time. So we're on lab Eukanuba even though I asked my husband to get lamb and rice. He thought it was supposed to be lab lamb and rice and couldn't find it. Maybe we'll go back to that and see how everything does.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Finnpup is offline Senior Member

I started Finn on fish oil capsules in January for ortho issues, and have had the side benefit of no hot spots or ear problems this summer. Also he had already started getting calluses on his elbows and they cleared up too!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Mitzi has had anallergy to yeast for some time resulting in ear problems, and licking of feet and butt causing dark lick stains. I keep her ear problems in check with Zymox, and had been giving her Ketoconazole for the allergy, but now that she is almost 10, I worry about the effect of the Keto on her liver. Her breeder recommended DinOvite. At first I hesitated to try it because of the price ($131/12 pounds), but ordered some July7. She still licks paws at times, but it must be much less because her lick stains are much lighter:

So I think it's worth the price. It lasts a long time too; I still have more than half left. They also sent "SuperOmega" Salmon oil/E supplement which I have added to her meals too.

kelli is offline Senior Member

Tucker had bad ears/skin for a LONG FREAKIN' TIME.. and it was purely food-based.

Here's the kick in the teeth.. usually once you find a food that works, it usually will stop working within a few months.

I can't for the life of me remember why.. my vet told me it would probably stop so i'd better get a backup food ready..

Since being on the backup food.. tuck hasn't had any problems in years..

Grain-free is your friend.

I don't have any grain free food here.. so i went with holistic (blue buffalo) and couldn't be happier.

No medication has been given to him for daily usage, just antibiotics when he had inflamed skin and ears.

kelli, tucker and koda

joflake is offline Senior Member

My Willy had the same problems you pup has. His got better with fish oil and switching to Holisitic Duck and Oatmeal food. I did buy the Dino-vite this past winter, for some reason my husband wanted to try it! I didn't see it make a difference in anything. He and Libby are actually having a bit of an itchy spell right now and I think it's because of the wet summer and more bugs. The thing with the Dino-vite....the dosage goes by the weight of the dog, they only get 1 1/2 cups of food, Willy's dosage is like 6-8 tablespoons of that stuff a day. Try mixing that in that little bit of food, doesn't work well. I'm sure they're getting vitamins out of it, but I doubt I'll buy it again.

Thanks for all the responses.

Kelli, which Blue Buffalo do you use for Tucker? I guess your vet was right because the Natural Balance Duck and Potato worked for a while. Barney is just flaking like a bad case of dandruff and oh, his little ears. They're not hot spots, they're just pure scratched spots.

joflake, what brand of fish oil caps do you use with Willy? Do they also have Vitamin E in them? Somewhere I read where that's good, too.

We have Blue Buffalo here, but there are so many fish oil caps I don't know where to start!!

Thanks for helping us. We're at our wits end.

kelli is offline Senior Member

Blue Buffalo Holistic Salmon and potato i think..

kelli, tucker and koda

joflake is offline Senior Member

I buy fishoil at the GNC store for us and the dogs, we take the same thing. I also give mine Synovi G3 which has Omega 3 in it along with glucosamine and other stuff.

http://synovig3.net/