house training regression...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: house training regression...

Defaulthouse training regression...

Had 2 month old charlie at the cabin for 4-5 days and when we got home last night it seemed that he forgot how to go out.

The day before we left for the lake he only went out twice during middle of night, and really only peed in the house once.

Now we are back and he went out 7 times throughout the night (no water after 6PM) and still poop'd and pee'd in house once.

I know consistency is really important when training a puppy, should we forget about the cabin for the rest of the season?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

It took months for Dylan to become completely clean although he never pooped in the house.

I suppose he was 12 months before the accidents stopped ! Even now, excitement can cause a little accident at 18 months !

I am fortunate that I have no carpets - just laminate, tiles and wood !

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Nope, just keep trying. He's still very young, so accidents are going to happen. He probably just got thrown off by the break in his routine. Where he is still so young the change in his environment probably threw him for a loop. When they're this young comfort and familiar surroundings are important. House training is not going to happen overnight...it takes I'd say at LEAST a month before the dog knows what is expected of them for sure. Java doesn't have any accidents anymore (she's almost 8 months) but she does spray a little when she gets really excited!! lol

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Awesome, thanks for the info.

I would just hate to do more harm than good while he is so young.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You are expecting an awful lot from an 8 week old puppy to expect him to be housebroken at this tender age. Give him another month to get good at it.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

AZLAB is offline Senior Member

Also if he is sick or really tired that will effect him.

Cinnamon was the easiest puppy we ever trained. She figured out quickly that we expected her to go outside. But every time she had her shots she had several major accidents many by the door as she couldn't hold it.

To this day at almost 5 years old we make sure someone can be home full time for 48 hours after her shots as she still goes frequently and when she has to go she has to go now.

Good Luck with Charlie I am sure the little guy will get control shortly.
    Karon and Cinnamon

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Disruptions to his routine can slow him down. But that doesn't mean "no cabin" for the rest of the season, it's not bad for him to learn there too. However, remember (as I'm sure you do) that he's still a baby, especially at only 8 weeks. Most pups take a few months after coming home before they're close to reliable.

My Toby was pretty close to reliable by about 12 weeks, though he often still needed to go out during the night at that age, and there were definitely a few accidents until he was about 5 months old. We rescued Chamois at about 12 weeks, so she took a bit longer and then had some complications with her spay.

Hang in there, they do learn.

georgie is offline Senior Member

He is still very young & that is normal. It takes awhile before the are reliable, and even later, there may be an accident. especially if they are not feeling well.

MNLab is offline Senior Member

When I brought Daisy home she was 9 weeks and I took her to my fiance's house. We kind of kept her in the kitchen area which is by the door. I just took her outside, A LOT, and then we have a horse barn, so we were there with her a lot too, and she was allowed to go where she wanted, when she wanted. She also started her crate training there.

We were there a week and then I brought her home. There she learned how to use the doggie door and we were at my grandparents on and off during those first two weeks at home as our sheltie had an emergency surgery and I wanted them seperate, and at grandpa and grandma's she learned to go sit by the front door in order to alert me.

My point in all this is, at between 9-11.5 weeks of age Daisy was living in various places, the routines and areas in which she had to go to tell me she needed to potty changed, BUT she caught on quickly and really only had a few accidents in those weeks. She also never had an accident at my grandparents.

I made it a priority to take her out lots and lots (pretty much every 20-30 min.) and in the middle of the night, as well (whether she woke up or not). I don't think you need to worry about Charlie getting confused if you go to your cabin, just stay consistent and keep him on a schedule! A schedule worked best for me, too, because at least no matter where she was she could count on that to be routine (including a nap schedule and feeding schedule).

Good luck and don't get too worried, Charlie probably wants to enjoy the cabin just as much as you, so make sure you do that!
    Last edited by MNLab; 08-26-2009 at 12:54 AM.
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

lisa is offline Senior Member

He is still very young to be accident free. Gracie is 8 month old and we have gone without accidents for a little over a month, so there is nothing unusual about your pups housebreaking progress. Be patient...it will happen. Enjoy the cabin too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast