Java saw a toad hopping around in our driveway.
She went to it, looked at it for a couple minutes with the "WTF" look as it hopped around, then picked it up in her mouth. She didn't bite it.
Maybe 2 seconds later she spit it out. Obviously it had peed in her mouth.
She then walked around the drive way for the next 15 minutes drooling like I have never seen, drinking water and eating grass, trying to get the taste out of her mouth.
I'm thinking she'll leave toads alone from now on.
I believe toads are poisonous to dogs. How is she now?
"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"
She's fine. This was this past weekend, Saturday actually. She never got sick or threw up. Just drooled-alot. Walked around with it dripping and hanging out of her nouth. She didn't eat the toad, chew it or even bite it. Just held it in her mouth and spit it out.
I would definitely keep a close eye on her ! I doubt it was urine - Like Amy said they can be poisonous.
Yeah, once is usually enough. Abby foamed with hers. I just read a Ripley's Believe it or Not in the paper that said a dog swallowed a toad and vomitted it after 45 mins. The toad was still alive. It just had to be a Lab
Labs: The Natural Antidepressant
It is a defense mechanism for some toads-they will urinate when scared.
To put some minds at rest. Not all toads are poisonous to dogs. It depends on what variety you have in your local. I believe the southern tier of US states have several of the bad varieties, not so much here in the northern tier.
Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.
Yep a lesson learned.
Karen and the gang
BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)