ID for you dog
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ID for you dog

DefaultID for you dog

The post on the "all kinds of labs end up in shelters" got me thinking. My two labs are chipped but would anyone find the chip if they got lost? I know that there is more than one company the manufactures chips - so, can one scanner find all of them or whould the shelter or vet need the specific scanner? I can't seem to keep tags on my dogs; they are always getting loose and falling off (including the one from the micro chip company)! Since we spend alot of time at our little place in Central Oregon that is surrounded by acres of wood land I had special collars made with their names and my cell phone number woven in: JUST IN CASE. Do they tattoo dogs with id? What have you guys done to protect your fur babies should they ever get lost?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: ID for you dog

My understanding is a solid MAYBE. There are primarily two different chip technologies being made. They are not compatible. Some scanners will only detect the type they were made for. But there are scanners out there that will check for both types. So it depends on what the Rescue or vet has in their bag of tools. My vet, and the previous one use a scanner that will detect either. I know our city CSO has one that detects either as well as the local Humane Society. But that is all I know.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Nellie has an Avid chip which animal control here can scan. My vet only uses Home Alone (I think that's the name).

You don't want to tatoo. First of all the fur will cover it and if you do the ear a thief will cut it off.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

You don't want to tatoo. First of all the fur will cover it and if you do the ear a thief will cut it off.
    That thought absolutely horrifies me. Both of Sundance's ears were tattooed as a pup by the guide dog folks.

He's got a chip, too, which I hope would be detected by someone at a shelter. But if he went missing, I'd call all the shelters, anyway.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

I never thought of that! How awful.....

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I am confident in knowing that every single dog that comes in contact with the Hamilton Animal Control is scanned, all over their bodies if need be, just in case a chip moved. I really don't *get* the shelters and animal controls that don't do this, because then they wouldn't have to house or feed the animals, thus keeping costs down at least a little.

They also wear tags with their names and our phone numbers engraved on them. I scratched "needs meds!" on the back of both their tags. A little white lie, but who would keep a dog that potentially needs expensive medication?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    I am confident in knowing that every single dog that comes in contact with the Hamilton Animal Control is scanned, all over their bodies if need be, just in case a chip moved. I really don't *get* the shelters and animal controls that don't do this, because then they wouldn't have to house or feed the animals, thus keeping costs down at least a little.

They also wear tags with their names and our phone numbers engraved on them. I scratched "needs meds!" on the back of both their tags. A little white lie, but who would keep a dog that potentially needs expensive medication?
    Kate - I think that little fib is really clever. Milly lost her ID tag about 2 weeks ago. I need to get her a new one asap (she's microchipped) but because she's so damn adorable (like all our labs) and so friendly and well-behaved my biggest concern is someone finding her and keeping her if (touch wood) she ever did get lost. I am going to keep that in mind, hope you don't mind me stealing your idea.... !!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Everyone except Sophie is Microchipped... I haven't decided whether to risk chipping Sophie, she had a BAD NASTY reaction to the so-called dissolving stitches when she was spayed and I'm really loathe to chance putting another foreign material into her wonky immune system. I've been meaning to get one of those collars with the embroidered phone numbers on it....

Dani is offline Senior Member

Kate, you have to remember that microchipping is pretty much a part of the CKC registration process. IT's not here. If it were bigger, I don't think it would be so hard to get shelters to scan or people to think about having a dog scanned if they found one. There are places around here that if you say microchip they are like "what"?

Even at my own local shelter, where they OFFER homeagain chips to be done to your dog, they don't always scan. *shrug*
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sarahnye

Kate - I think that little fib is really clever. Milly lost her ID tag about 2 weeks ago. I need to get her a new one asap (she's microchipped) but because she's so damn adorable (like all our labs) and so friendly and well-behaved my biggest concern is someone finding her and keeping her if (touch wood) she ever did get lost. I am going to keep that in mind, hope you don't mind me stealing your idea.... !!
    Not at all! I stole it from someone on here a while ago.... I don't remember who...? Whoever it was, thanks for the great idea!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Kate, you have to remember that microchipping is pretty much a part of the CKC registration process. IT's not here. If it were bigger, I don't think it would be so hard to get shelters to scan or people to think about having a dog scanned if they found one. There are places around here that if you say microchip they are like "what"?

Even at my own local shelter, where they OFFER homeagain chips to be done to your dog, they don't always scan. *shrug*
    Hmm... this is true. Still though, if they have the equipment, why NOT do it, you know? It takes two seconds, and then if they have a chip you can call the owner and they'll take them off your hands. That way you don't have to find room for them, feed them, house them, use volunteer time taking care of them, etc etc etc. Seems like a win-win to me..?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast