Does ne1 have litter mates?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does ne1 have litter mates?

Marmot is offline Member

DefaultDoes ne1 have litter mates?

Just curious about the pros and cons of having two pups from the same litter...yes I am thinking about bringing home one of Rosie's sisters.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nicole is offline Senior Member

Honestly, the easiest way to answer this is that a responsible breeder won't send two puppies to the same home at the same time.

Marmot is offline Member

Just out of curiousity why is that if they are being sold as pet quality and not show quality? I mean no disrespect here, I would just like some feed back on why this is so taboo? We are talking about 2 females that will eventually be spayed as per my original agreement with the breeder.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nicole is offline Senior Member

Nothing to do with pet/show quality. Raising one puppy is more than time consuming enough for most people. With two, in order to keep them from bonding too closely with eachother, you have to spend seperate time playing and training each of them. Then you have expenses...purchase price, vaccines, puppy supplies, training classes, spaying, etc all at the same time.

Most breeders would tell you to enjoy the puppy you currently have and then, once you have her trained to the point you'd like, revisit the idea of adding another. If you liked your previous breeder, go back at that time.

Marmot is offline Member

DefaultSo it's more of an expense and quality time thing?

Someone is always home here, money is not a problem and I am a true believer in pet care health insurance. I am a retiree with plenty of time on my hands, my youngest child is 16, the other is 18, they help out plenty around here. The breeder knows all of this and she is aware that I have had many dogs over the years, so I am no green foot. Obedience classes have already been arranged for Rosie, my son has every intention of taking her, so I would be available to take the other pup. The breeder seems to think we can handle two, just as well as she handles 10 plus the two or three litters she has a year. I've spoken to many people in my area that have dogs from the same kennel so I do believe that my breeder is a good breeder, she consistantly shows and competes in field and trials.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

sneaking quietly out of this thread...........

labby is offline Senior Member

It sounds like you've already made up your mind. Regardless, most reputable breeders will not sell two puppies to one home. The puppies bond to each other and not to their people, which can become a problem. But hey, what do we know?

http://home.att.net/~pvee/dbltrbl.html

Laura

georgie is offline Senior Member

Funny this came up today. My breeder just told us she had someone who wanted to buy two puppies and she told him no. She gave the reason as the will bond with each other & not the people. We just picked up Kate on Friday & I can't imagine two of her.
    We also have a 6 1/2 year old & a 3 1/2 year old lab. One puppy at a time is enough for me. I am exhausted.

Marmot is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    It sounds like you've already made up your mind. Regardless, most reputable breeders will not sell two puppies to one home. The puppies bond to each other and not to their people, which can become a problem. But hey, what do we know?

http://home.att.net/~pvee/dbltrbl.html
    No, I have not made up my mind, it's just that money and time are not an issue, as far as having a pet or pets.
    Now I understand why some of you, feel that 2 pups from the same litter would be a bad idea. I wouldn't want a dog that would not bond with us humans. This is the kind of honest response I was looking for...Thank you.

Marmot is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by georgie View Post
    Funny this came up today. My breeder just told us she had someone who wanted to buy two puppies and she told him no. She gave the reason as the will bond with each other & not the people. We just picked up Kate on Friday & I can't imagine two of her.
    We also have a 6 1/2 year old & a 3 1/2 year old lab. One puppy at a time is enough for me. I am exhausted.
    That much fun, huh? Another valid reason for one pup at a time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast