Bunny Hopping when running?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bunny Hopping when running?

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultBunny Hopping when running?

I remember that this is a symptom of something, but I don't remember what.

Today I went home at lunch to play with the boys, and noticed Angus doing a very distinct bunny hop as he chased the bumper. I'd only heard it described before, but it really did look just like a bunny.

Should I panic?

I have seen him do this a total of one time now. Of course I'll keep an eye out again tonight and see if it repeats.

I made him go up the stairs twice, and saw no bunny hopping on stairs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Dogs with hip dysplasia bunny hop when they run. Also if they have a spinal injury. Not all dogs with HD bunny hop though, my Brownie never did

I guess if it repeats more often then you should be worried, if it only happened once maybe it is muscular related, since your dogs do a lot of exercise

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

It's a symptom of hip dysplasia. If you've only noticed it only once, it could very well be something else, maybe a pulled muscle, sore toe, whatever.

As far as hip dysplasia goes, other symptoms are:

Hesitancy to do jump...jump up into the car, jump up onto a chair, etc.

Hesitancy to jump out of a car.

Hesitancy to stand on back legs.

Hesitance to climb stairs.

Hesitancy to get up from lying down or getting up awkwardly....kind of swinging his butt to get his rear end up.

Keep us posted as to whether or not this continues or is a one-time fluke.

Hesitancy to run, or when he runs, he bunny hops.

Of course, some of these very things could be symptoms of other things like spoiled rotten or just lazy. But you know your dog. If he's doing these things uncharacteristically, then you might want to check with your vet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Of course, some of these very things could be symptoms of other things like spoiled rotten or just lazy.
    OK, that really cracked me up! Angus and Simon have plenty of symptoms of spoiled rotten. :P

Well, I thought it was a sign of HD. I remembered it coming up every once in a while. Shoot. I sure hope not!

I have never seen him run like that before. He is sometimes a little slow to get up, and he doesn't seem to go as hard or as long as he used to when playing fetch.

OTOH, he has no hesitation to stand on his hind legs (he often does this if I have the treat in my mouth, to shorten the distance between my mouth and his mouth. Geesh). He was jumping into the car fine last night.

We did go for a pretty long walk yesterday - about 3 miles. They usually only go a mile at a time. I'm really sore today! Maybe he is too.

I hope that's all it is. I will definitely report back if I see any of those other symptoms (thank you for that list, btw!)

bacsibob is offline Senior Member

Check his paws for cuts or foreign objects.

Labs: The Natural Antidepressant

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

I am paranoid about bad hips (my dog Caleb was 4/5 displaysed at 6 months old). Dozer used to bunny hop a little on the stairs so I asked the vet about it and she told me it was probably a balance thing at his age because otherwise everything else was normal.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

My almost 13 year old does it when he tries to keep up on a walk, I put it down to old age as he can still jump up on the sofa and go about his daily business it's just when he tries to run too far.

Hope it was a one off with Angus and nothing to worry about

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

Well, we played again tonight and I didn't notice him doing it again. Maybe he was just worn out from yesterday. Kevin said he was sore too.

He sure doesn't mind hopping around on his hind legs. He was doing it tonight at the back door after I put Betadine on his feet and was letting it dry before he came back in.

I just worry about that boy. He's always been the "running like a freight train" type, and he totally spins out when he gets to the bumper. I wish you could talk to them and tell them to take it easy just a little bit please!

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

I really wouldn't worry about it unless you saw real symptoms. No need to go borrowing trouble.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I have only observed the bunny hop in Tal, and that only when he knows he is about to get a meal..lol. Sounds like something for Angus to keep an eye on but unless some other symptoms develop I wouldn't worry too much I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast