!!! VERY BAD Aggression!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: !!! VERY BAD Aggression!!

justine is offline Senior Member

Default!!! VERY BAD Aggression!!

Hi Guys,

I know I've posted about Abbey and Sasha and how they fight pretty rough before, but lately it's been REALLY bad. They've been getting into VERY nasty "bitey face" games.. which never really were that bad, we just broke them up and 2 minutes later they were fine.. but the last week has been awful. My mom had given them a plate, even though she was holding it and given them turns... and then they got really nasty so my mom went to separate them and got bit on the palm of her hand really bad. They were pretty good and calm all of this week up until today. There were a few boxes of (unopened) food (frozen dinners) on the floor because we were reorganizing the freezer and all of a sudden, they weren't even playing, but just went after each other. I grabbed under Abbey's legs, careful to stay away from their heads, but got bit anyways.. Pretty deep and almost bad enough to need stitches. :'( Let's just say that I'm not one that cries when I get hurt, even when I broke my finger, but oh boy I almost cried! Don't know yet, but I put some pressure on it to get it to stop bleeding, took a peek and it's not too bad, cleaned it and up a bandage on it, tight.. As of right now it seems okay, but it's just hard to type!!

Anyways, we know that food is the main thing they fight over, and I mean REALLY fight over, so we're very careful about what we do.. but frozen, unopened food? That's strange. Now I know Abbey was NEVER aggressive at all until we brought Sasha home.. and since Sasha is probably either part pit bull or boxer, that might be where some of the aggression came from and we also don't know about her previous owners.. I'm not trying to blame it on her breed or anything, but I know that if she is part pit bull or boxer, they tend to be more aggressive than labs.. Otherwise, the two of them get along great.. We are by no means about to get rid of Sasha.. we love her and want to work through this. My question is: are there any techniques anyone has used to help minimize the aggression? We've gotten rid of all of the rawhides, Nylabones, etc and they are both fed at the same time, but separate places. Should we cut out "bitey face" all together? I think they have fun playing, but it quickly turns bad... Not sure what to do! We are considering professional help, but as it is very expensive, we would like to try out other routes, at least for a few days.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: !!! VERY BAD Aggression!!

Get in person help.

And no more sharing, no more 'taking turns from the same plate'. Bitey face - limit that to a few minutes, then break it up BEFORE they get over aroused.

And be aware that bitch-bitch aggression is much more serious than males, when bitches fight they mean business, where males are more likely to posture and make noise. Some females can NEVER get along and must be kept seperate. How old is Sasha?

justine is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    Get in person help.

And no more sharing, no more 'taking turns from the same plate'. Bitey face - limit that to a few minutes, then break it up BEFORE they get over aroused.

And be aware that bitch-bitch aggression is much more serious than males, when bitches fight they mean business, where males are more likely to posture and make noise. Some females can NEVER get along and must be kept seperate. How old is Sasha?
    We think she is about 1.5-2 yrs old. The place we got her from really wasn't sure, but both vets we've taken her to said she can't be more than 2 years old. It's just strange because they seem to get along great, except when food is somehow involved.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Right on schedule then. I've seen several pitbulls, that have been fine with other dogs, playing well and being very social; then they hit social maturity and become more or less dog-aggressive. (not that this is exclusive to pitbulls.. the adult temperament of many dogs is markedly different than their puppy brain.

And resource guarding is an instinctive behaviour, not really out of the ordinary for dogs.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Please understand that I am no expert. I only speak from a single experience that I will describe.

Newman, 6+ years old when it started. HK 10 weeks at the time. It is 1.5 years later now.

Food aggression on the part of Newman, and it spread to what we believe was anything that ever touched food.

We never allowed them to be in sight of each other when either got any food of any kind. They were together every weekend for some amount of time. We babysat Newman frequently. There two dogs were great with each other, but not if anything food was in the vicinity. We eventually put up a babygate in a hallway (abot 6 months) and fed them at the same time on opposite sides of the gate. That continued for another 6 months. Now we will feed them, next to each other, BUT either my son or I are right there and we do not take our eyes off them and are close enough that I am sure they sense our bodyheat. When will we stop? I don't know. I truly believe these two dogs are best friends now. I don't think we need to do this anymore. But I am not confident enough to stop.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I would remove food from any and all interactions between them until you get some help. Feed them in seperate rooms, don't have any food at ALL around them when they're together, no treats, no nothing.

Good luck, I know how frustrating and upsetting this must be...
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

As mentioned previously, I recommend you get professional help asap and in the meantime no food or toys to be shared.

Breaking up the fights is very dangerous as both you and your mom have already experienced, you can get very viciously attacked. Sometimes the problem is actually that you don´t let them figure out who´s the boss on their own.

You might have to end up separating both dogs permanently. I understand your great intentions of rescuing a dog but you definitely need to put your own safety (and your mom´s) before the animals, and even for them it is not fair to force them into living together when they don´t even tolerate each other. They also suffer a lot of stress under those situations

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

I have no advice but ill be reading replies as my terrier is getting toy aggressive with Alfie and food aggressive with him too

Samson is offline Senior Member

I have only experienced aggression through intact males but I know how full on their fights must be !

I would just say that the bite is the start ! If they break the skin then watch out for the infection ! I spent three days in hospital with Cellulitis !

joflake is offline Senior Member

I agree with everyone else. Remove the food issue. Give them nothing unless they are separated, different rooms, doors shut while they eat. Pick up their bowls when they're done also, they can become protective of the bowl, even if there is no food in it. I would also not allow them to play bitey face anymore. I'd just be too scared for it to escalate into a problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast