Afffffflac!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Afffffflac!

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultAfffffflac!

Today was the day for "re-ducking" the pond by our house. We bought a dozen flight-ready mallards from the local game farm. Brought them home, clipped their flight feathers and then turned them loose. Only thing different this year over past ones is that we bought a much higher ratio of hens. We got 2 drakes, 8 hens and two pure white mallards.

Here's grandson Jay and his great-grammie Jean handing me the ducks one at a time for wing clipping.

Next it was the drakes and hens ...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Then, after each had been flight-feather-clipped and placed in
    a separate holding pen, they were given 15 minutes to settle down. They were then turned loose at one time.

They were happy to find their freedom in new surroundings.

If they'll stay in the pond for the rest of the day, they'll likely remain with us forever. Aside from some predation, our hold rate is above 90% each year.

joflake is offline Senior Member

Very interesting, thanks you! I love your pictures! BTW, where were the dogs while you did this? Are they interested in the ducks?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Yeah what do Cap & Remy think of the ducks?

Do they chase them, cause that really ain't a fair fight. You've clipped their flight feathers, so they can't really get away.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

That's cool Jim. You are quite the guy!

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Why do you clip the flight feathers? Is this like your breeding stock? And what they produce you shoot when they reach adulthood?

Obviously clueless, here.

Seamus and Flynn

Remi & Cappy have an interest in the ducks by instinct alone but are conditioned to "LEAVE IT" here at home. In fact, the ducks that have been with us for 3-4 years are often out in the drive near the garage door when I open it each morning. They need fine gravel in order to gring and digest the corn we feed them so they get it from our white rock driveway. The two dawgs are no more than 20 feet away and they just stare but make no move towards them. When we go through the training routine in the early morning it's not unsual for the ducks to walk by the dawgs on the grass as they are returning to my side with a training bumper.

Lord help any of those mallards if they were within eyesight of either dawg where we do our hunting, 5 miles from here. Both Cappy and Remi are excellent trackers and a duck can't hide from their superior scenting skills.

The 7-8 flight feathers are the longest and furthest feathers out towards the tip of each wing. We cut off the end 3" or so with a scissors. It is painless to the duck. Without them they become flightless. They can still run, swim and maybe get a foot or two off the ground for 15-20 yards to escape predators. Flight feathers will grow back in in six months or less. Clipping them now prevents them from flying off until they become "imprinted" on our pond and get used to us and the easy "groceries" here. All ducks and geese "molt" at least once a year meaning they loose and then replace all of their feathers over a six week period during which time they become flightless.

The owner of the game farm really wanted me to take the two white mallards. Not farm ducks or albinos .... pure white mallards that he says occurs in approximately 1 in every 5,000 ducklings. If they mate the result will be white ducklings. If they mate with regular mallards the statistical odds goes way down against white off-spring. Kinda interesting stuff. By the way ... I have a white pheasant from years ago ...

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Very interesting Jim, thanks for the lesson! Beautiful birds!
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Cappy, thanks for the info! It is great to know the pups won't go after or hurt the birds in your pond. Also interesting to know that they can escape predators & that they grow the flight feather backs in about 6 months.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Thanks very much for the explanation. It helped a lot.

Seamus and Flynn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast