Sam very sore after playing, at what point should I worry?

Thread: Sam very sore after playing, at what point should I worry?

bibber is offline Senior Member

DefaultSam very sore after playing, at what point should I worry?

Our 8 year old nephew came over yesterday to swim. Sam was full-out running or cannon balling in the pool for about 3 hours. He did lots of retrieving on land and in the pool. He's 5-1/2 yrs old now. By last night, he was having a hard time getting around, just very stiff, slow to get up, walking very slow. Same way this morning, with a little bit of moaning and groaning when getting up or laying down. It seems to be more of an all over muscle soreness, not in his hips or one particular area. He's been this way a few times before, after similar length and type of playing and is back to normal about a day later. I feel bad, like I should have made him take rest breaks, but they were having so much fun that I didn't think about it at the time. Sam does do retreiving nearly every day and swims too, but just not for 3 hours at a time. So I think it's overexertion, but not sure if I should be worried about him or not.

I guess my question is: does anyone else's lab get sore like this after extended playing?

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Sam very sore after playing, at what point should I worry?

Mine just tend to sleep, but on occasion may get a little stiff (a.k.a Bell my almost 10 year old). Have you tried giving him some aspirin (buffered/ascriptin) to see if that helps?

Jenica gets very sleepy when she does too much. I have only once seen her where she seemed to be in a bit of pain, but was fine 12 hours later. I would keep an eye on him, but I am sure it is just a little too much playing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Is he limping or favoring any legs? If not I wouldn't worry too much. When Oona gets like this I give her a buffered aspirin and take it easy the next couple of days.
    Olie

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jenica
    Jenica gets very sleepy when she does too much. I have only once seen her where she seemed to be in a bit of pain, but was fine 12 hours later. I would keep an eye on him, but I am sure it is just a little too much playing.
    I would do that same, keep an eye on him.

joflake is offline Senior Member

Libby & Willy both get stiff like that if they over-exert for a day. I also give buffered aspirin and it seems to help. If it doesn't get any better, then I would call the vet.

bibber is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the advice. He definitely slept a lot yesterday. He's not limping at all, just moving really slow. Still wagging his tail and everything else is normal. I'm just a total worry wort 'cause I love him so much. I will try the buffered aspirin when I get home today and see how he is tonight and tomorrow.

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

Cinnamon has been like that after playing to much. I just give her an asprin and massage her a little and she is fine in a day or two.

I hope Sam is better quickly.

Yup, mine get that way. I give them bufferred aspirin, keep 'em as still as possible, and wait it out. Let us know how he's doing.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I probably wouldn't give him aspirin just for a bit of soreness, here's a good article on it: http://www.school-for-champions.com/...th/aspirin.htm

I think it's good for them to be able to feel the pain (unless they are unable to settle due to it's intensity) so that they don't overdo it and make it worse.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!