Question for those who crate their dogs in the vehicle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for those who crate their dogs in the vehicle

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion for those who crate their dogs in the vehicle

Do you think that it helps to reduce the amount of hair in your vehicle?. I am going to be needing a new "ride" within the next year, and really should get a smaller car with good gas milage due to my commute to work. SU has a RAV4 which gets pretty good milage and he only drives about 4 miles to work. However - he won't let the dogs in it because he is allergic to them and he doesn't want the dog hair in it (it also has a black interior, and we have yellow dogs!) I plan on crating my dogs in my next vehicle, which is why I can't get something with great milage - anything that fits 2 crates doesn't get that good of milage. I was thinking that I could drive a small car and when I need to take the dogs somewhere, I could crate them in the RAV (classes once a week, half dozen shows a year, vet trips etc.) Do you feel that the crates help to contain the dog hair?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Question for those who crate their dogs in the vehicle

We have a yellow dog and a black Honda CRV. When Maddy is free in the car she tends to go from the back to the front and gets hair everywhere. And de-furring the passenger seat that often is annoying. Her plastic crate fits in the backseat and I feel so much safer with her in there. There is a significant gathering of hair on the seat right in front of her kennel. No problem there. The one that surprised us is the amount of hair that is on the back of the seat where it somes out the little holes in her kennel. Kind of a solid line if hair. So I don't know if there's less, but it's definitely in concentrated locations. I haven't really noticed it much otherwise, so it's definitely more convenient to clean up.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Oh, definitely! Our last station wagon and the Windstar had far less hair in them then the truck because Mick was crated in them (he was seatbelted in the truck). Obvioulsy, tho, that's only the case with the plastic crates, not the wire ones.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

I use wire crates and I still get alot of hair in the truck ............ more from Bo but Kona definitely donates too!!
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

georgie is offline Senior Member

I use the wire side by side crates in the Expedition & after our vacation, I still had dog hair in the back but it was easier to clean up then when they ride in the back seat of SU's truck...the hair is everywhere.

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

I have a crate in the back of my mini-van for Shane. I crate him for his safety, not of the hair, but I believe it does cut down on the amount of hair, mostly because it's located in one area. Now if I don't keep up with it, I'd have hair circulating throughout the vehicle. I've taken a shedding blade to him a lot lately and I still seem to have hair everywhere in my house!
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

I use wire crates in my Yukon XL and they do a decent job of containing the hair...most of it lives between the crates! In my small SUV, if I bring a dog, they're contained in the rear cargo area and I find that the hair stays back there for the most part.

patm is offline Senior Member

Thanks for your replies - I plan on getting wire crates, but it does sound like it would help to keep the hair at least contained in a smaller area - especially if I clean it out after they ride.

One other thought - if you put down an old sheet both under the crates and up over the back of the seat; that would also confine most of the hair to the sheet. Then you could fold it up to remove it thus confining a good portion of the loose hair. I have a sheet on our bed when the dogs are up on it - it amazes me how much hair there is on it each day. I can fold it up and carry it to the washer without the hair flying all over.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Um...I only contain them when we do shows. I don't see a difference really, just in where it's concentrated.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast