neutering

Thread: neutering

Defaultneutering

I noticed in somebody else's post that waiting to fix your pup is really good health wise. Both of my two were fixed after their year birthday so I didn't even realize it was a good thing, but Sam is just three months and the shelter we got him from wants him fixed before august. Can I feasibly get them to agree to let me wait until after Samwise is atleast a year?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: neutering

With any sort of rescue situation, I doubt it. You can always ask, but I know that at the shelter I volunteered at, the dog was to be spayed/neutered within three months of adoption. And you had to bring back the papers to prove it.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

yeah I had a feeling its gonna be like that, but I'm hoping I can show that my other two are fixed and that I'm a responsible dog owner and just trying to do what's best for the health of my puppy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyGirl
    yeah I had a feeling its gonna be like that, but I'm hoping I can show that my other two are fixed and that I'm a responsible dog owner and just trying to do what's best for the health of my puppy.
    It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask, but don't be surprised if they won't allow it. Plus. looking at it from their point of view, if that is their policy, and they make an exception, they open themselves up for alot of exceptions, some of which would not be in the best interest of the animal.

I had Tal neutered at 6 months because he was going to daycare at the time and they would not let them attend past 7 months if they were not spayed or neutered. The rescue I got Barney from requires it by 6 months of age.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask, but don't be surprised if they won't allow it. Plus. looking at it from their point of view, if that is their policy, and they make an exception, they open themselves up for alot of exceptions, some of which would not be in the best interest of the animal.
    Exactly. Early neutering may not be ideal but shelters have these policies for a reason. Unfortunately it is something you have to accept if you adopt an animal from a shelter.