A very stinky question

Thread: A very stinky question

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

DefaultA very stinky question

I have been using a separate garbage can to dispose of poop. It has a plastic liner that I change weekly. Each individual poop is bagged and tied, then put in the can. When I remove the lid, the smell just knocks me down. (hurk..)

Is there a better method? My garbage men only come once a week. so the poop isn't going anywhere until then. It really makes my whole back yard smell like the sewer backed up! I'm sure the neighbors love it too!!
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: A very stinky question

In my old house (before having woods behind me), I used to keep a big lawn bad on the side of the house. I would do poop patrol in plastic bags, ties them up and put them in the lawn bag until trash day. I think that putting it in the garbage can and closing the lid is what makes the odors. It's sort of like "baking" in there.
    They also have those things you can order from dog supply stores where you deposit the poop. Man I so appreciate my woods now!

I do what you do and also only have once a week trash pick up. In the summer it's a health hazard.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I keep a plastic can with lid I put a garbage bag and put the poop inside it. If you use a grass catcher, layer the poop with grass clippings. That's what I do and it will kill the smell. One catcher full lasts almost all summer.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

layer the poop with grass clippings.
    That's what I do. It works.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom
    layer the poop with grass clippings.
    That's what I do. It works.
    Great minds think alike! I think I actually saw a post you made on a similar thread a long while back. So when I moved in my place last summer, I followed the advice and it sure makes poop patrol alot less, um, stinky! lol

My hubby has a big smoker and we often use the ashes out of the firebox to put in the bag with Cooper's downloads. Just a bit and it helps as well. We do the same as you - garbage can with bag, lid and all his downloads are in bags that are tied shut. Yes, the smell is wicked :vomit:

Bev.

fourbabygirls Guest

My neighbor has, for lack of a better description, a puppy latrine in his backyard. I'm not sure where he got it, but he dug a hole, put this thing in (all you can see is the green lid, flush with the ground) and every once in a while he sprinkles something in that helps "reduce" the waste. It really reminded me of the summer I worked at a Girl Scout camp and our group had latrine duty, where we sprinkled something in once a day or so. You never would have known that you were in an outhouse, that's how great their system was.