Neuter requirement question

Thread: Neuter requirement question

DefaultNeuter requirement question

I have been doing some research of late as some of you know. Many quality breeders require a neuter contract on companion pups. I expected that. Due to some reading I have done......

http://www.akcchf.org/pdfs/whitepape...iesArticle.pdf
    http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf

I am wondering how many quality breeders would be willing to consider allowing me to wait until 2 years of age for neutering a male? I spoke with one breeder on the phone and he became very snotty with me for even suggesting it. Another breeder I spoke with said perhaps 1.5 years old and seemed impressed I was doing research on the topic.

I would be doing it for purely health reasons, I have had some problems with my female's UT and she was a rescue who was spayed at a very young age.

What do many of you think? I know some of you are breeders and I would love your input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Neuter requirement question

I actually asked all my puppy buyers to wait as long as possible. I said they should do it by 18 months, but not earlier than a year. If someone asked to wait until 2 years, I would be fine with it, but I would want to stay in touch with them and have them tell me when they do it.

labby is offline Senior Member

Like Jen I prefer later. I'd have more of a problem if you did it before 18 months.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

My breeder was OK with me waiting, when I explained why I wanted to. My plan was also to wait until Baloo was 18 months at least - I was even considering leaving him intact permanently, pending good behaviour. But in the last few weeks he became an obsessed humpaholic and was totally distracted in any different environment (had expressed zero sexual behaviour before then) so he went in thursday for the snip, he's 15 months.

By the time the testosterone dies out he'll probably be around 16 months... so we *almost* made it.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Good to know, thanks