Another Bloat Survivor Story

Thread: Another Bloat Survivor Story

DefaultAnother Bloat Survivor Story

I just received a message via my website on bloat about a Lab that also survived the condition. The message read:

"Our dog Mulligan at 14 years old just had an episode of Bloat. Very fortunately we called the Vet and they diagnosed her over the phone and we rushed her to the Animal Hospital where they did emergency surgery and saved her life. Gladly, 5 days after surgery she is getting stronger every day.

I would like to thank you for your web page about your dog Jake and sharing your information about this disease/condition of Bloat. I can tell by your writings, that you truly loved your dog the way we love our Mulligan. I only wish that "man's best friend" could live a much longer life since they bring so much happiness to all they touch.

I am truly sorry for your loss of Jake, but thanks for sharing his life with us. Best of luck with Duke!

PS. Jake and her look like they could be brother and sister."

I love to get happy ending messages because a majority of the messages I receive are sad loss stories from people who found my site while researching to find out about bloat.
    It's always good to review and keep in mind that symptoms of bloat. You can read about my old Jake's story about surviving bloat here:
    http://home.flash.net/~jdebess/index.htm

If you scroll down the page to "Jake's Last Gift" you will learn how Duke came to us.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Another Bloat Survivor Story

How nice that someone acknowldged your website. I just took a look and it's beautifully done. What a nice tribute.

glad to hear your website helped others. Would you mind if I put a link up to it on my website?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Would you mind if I put a link up to it on my website?
    Please do. It's important for everyone to recognize the symptoms and know about possible preventative measures.
    I also would like for everyone to print out the flyer and post it at your Vet's office.
    Thanks

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I'm glad to hear there was a happy ending. I worry about bloat with Brigetta. She has a very deep chest. She no longer eats fast, but she will drink large amounts of water fast- so I try to monitor that.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I'm so glad to hear that you got a good story. I know it must make you feel so good to know that Jake has been able to help others.

One of the women at our club had an episode of bloat recently. She had NO idea what bloat was until it happened. Fortunately she was able to get her dog to the vet and with surgery he is now just fine.

She has asked me to write an article warning about the symptoms and dangers of bloat for our next newsletter. I may link to your page if that's OK?

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

BTW, I don't know if I ever told you this, but I came to learn about bloat that night when Crash became really ill. I was googling symptoms like mad, and came upon a Web page describing bloat. The symptoms were an exact match, and he was a perfect candidate at his age and weight.

We rushed him to the vet where they took x-rays, and very shockingly, they said it was not bloat...it was a large tumor on his liver. They gave him something to settle his stomach and sent him home. I got up at 2:00 in the morning - couldn't sleep - and called the e-vet back and asked him if he was 100% positive it wasn't bloat. He said it wasn't, that he would see gas in his stomach on the x-ray.

He was much worse the next morning, so we again rushed him to his regular vet. He had emergency surgery to remove the tumor, but he never made it out of recovery.

Even though Crash didn't have bloat, I have been haunted by the thought of it ever since. I was absolutely floored to learn that there was something so deadly that could strike with little warning and take your dog's life in a matter of hours. I have read and tried to educate myself about it ever since.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

georgie is offline Senior Member

That is a wonderful website. Very toughing tribute. Thank you for getting the message out about bloat.

I may link to your page if that's OK?
    Please do. Need to spread the word.

debjen is offline Senior Member

Glad to hear about another success..having survived 2 bouts with Riley I know how fast it can happen and how painful it is to your dog...