Product to Calm a dog (fear of storms)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Product to Calm a dog (fear of storms)

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultProduct to Calm a dog (fear of storms)

My dad has a question for you all!

Dryf, 15 year old lab/golden mix, has had abit of a fear of thunder storms for awhile, but with age, this fear is getting much worse. Even with my dad by his side he is up all night, which means my dad gets no sleep. even if the storm isn't THERE he stresses. I guess it's the electic current in the air. very heavy wind does this as well

Is there anything (safe) we can give him? Any tips on soothing him?

Thanks!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Product to Calm a dog (fear of storms)

I had good luck giving Rescue Remedy to Mick.

toyland444 is offline Senior Member

My vet suggested a Gentle Leader worn during storms might calm them. I'm going to try it with Cammy and see what happens.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oh Tanya!

My SIL's sister's chocolate lab goes crazy during storms... I can sympathize. She uses Rescue Remedy, which works well for him (ramps him down quite a bit, but doesn't totally soothe him). I've heard of putting a tight shirt on them as well...?

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

We use benadryl.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

HK could have cared less about a thunderstorm until two weeks ago. (She is 17 months old). She went nuts barking at the noise, hiding between my legs, whatever. Now we have had two nights of pretty strong storms come through and she is back to not caring. I will never figure it out.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

joflake is offline Senior Member

Libby's afraid of storms also and I've tried everything but the desensitization. She also seems like she's getting worse as she gets older. She always wants to lay in the bathroom, so I just let her and if I see she's shaking a lot I throw one of my t-shirts or sweaters over her. That seems to calm her a little, but doesn't really address the problem. I'm careful not to try to comfort her because that just reassures her there is something to be afraid of, but it's hard not to. I need to buy a CD with thunderstorms and try to desensitize her, I just haven't done it yet. My fault.

Finnigan is offline Senior Member

My Shi Tzu was like htis from the very first storm we had - I will never forget waking up , rolling over and seeing these big green eyes staring at me in the dark the first time it happened .

As he got older it got worse - the vet gave us CalmiClom (I think - at least that is what it sounded like) If we knew a storm was coming we would give it early enough for it to work (about a 1/2 hour to 45 min) It helped calm him but we also gave a small dose as we didn't want him completely tranquilized.

Talk to your vet - they often have suggestions as this is a very common problem.

From experience I observed that my old Lab Jake was fine until he reached 11 years old,then he got progressively worse. It got to the point where his teeth would chatter loud enough for you to hear and he would tremble.
    My theory is that as they age their eyesight and hearing decline making them feel more vulnerable. It does make sense that animals should fear storms as a survival trait. Only man would be stupid enough to walk around in a thunderstorm holding an umbrella over his head that essentially has a metal lightening rod tip on top.
    My Vet gave me a mild tranquillizer that I would give him when a storm was approaching.
    Duke, at 6 1/2 is starting to show signs of fear. I can always tell when a storm is comming when I feel an 80 pound yellow fur ball stuck to my leg.

joflake is offline Senior Member

A long time ago someone posted in LC about giving their animals melatonin for calming during a storm. This is a natural calming something or other in our bodies that is a good alternative to drugs. I've thought about buying some for Libby the next time I'm in GNC. I'd rather try that first. I think they give that when they're on planes and travelling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast