cupcake rings...should I be getting a second opinion?

Thread: cupcake rings...should I be getting a second opinion?

Defaultcupcake rings...should I be getting a second opinion?

So waaaaay back in march I had bought some cupcakes for us with those kids rings on them. One afternoon we left and came home to find the package all over the place in the living room and on my bed. (I don't know why they feel the need to bring their counter surfing trophies onto my bed) Both Happy and Lucky were hiding as I cleaned up the mess. They knew they had done wrong! Some of the rings were on the floor yadda yadda didn't think about counting them. There were nine cupcakes left that they helped themselves too. So six or seven weeks ago I'm still in bed and SU hollers "Happy just threw up and it's got those cupcakes rings in it!! I bolted out of bed and called the vet immediately and told her what's going on. He hadn't acted sick or anything, and even after throwing up he was back to his old self. She told me to keep them in a baggy and keep an eye on him to see if he started acting sick or in pain or anything unusual. She said there wasn't much she could do at this points. X-rays wouldn't show up and she didn't want to do surgery unless he started acting like something was blocked. Okay so he threw up about four of them all together that day. I kept them in a little baggy in a drawer and the weeks passed and he acted fine. So on Monday night he stands up and just BLEEEHS all over the carpet no throw up noise warning nothing just up and BLEEEH and guess what ANOTHER RING was in there ?!?! And this was the most foul smelling vomit I have ever had the displeasure of having to inhale and I've had to clean up a dirrehea explosion all over my kitchen floor from this dog. (He ate a pound of raw hamburger meat one night). That was nothing compared to the smell of this mess. So I get it cleaned up and it's pretty late so I make sure he's laying by me as we go to bed and I call the vet and tell them another ring had been floating in this poor dogs stomach for what...three months now? Again I'm told as long as he's acting fine there's no reason he needs to be seen. They said since he can't get them out one end he's just getting them out the other.....Umm I love my vet and all. These guys are wonderful to all three of my pups but should I be getting more concerned about this? He acts fine, plays and runs around (as much as Happy does). At MOST there are four left..at most, but I'm pretty sure I threw one or two away that day...it's been so long.. he's never consumed anything that's not food before and apparently he was in to much of a hurry to scarf down the cupcakes to pick out the rings.....

what do you guys thinks?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: cupcake rings...should I be getting a second opinion?

How big are these rings? Too big to pass in poop? Big enough to get stuck anywhere? What are they made of? Are you sure Happy is the only one who ate any?

If they are plastic and won't show up on an xray, and he's pooping normally, then I don't know if an xray will help - but I can't see where it would hurt, either, just for peace of mind.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

there you know those big plastic rings that are on kids cupcakes that they can wear on their fingers once they ate the cupcake. The top part is flat and usually has a picture of some cartoon character. These happened to be "Cars" ones. They're made of plastic and they're pretty big. The flat part is probably the size of a coin dollar maybe a bit bigger? I'm guessing they have been to big to pass out of his tummy and they're just floating around in there. If they could be pooped they would have already wouldn't they?

I'm pretty sure he's the only one that ate any. Lucky chews more than scarfs and she has a very sensative stomach. I can't even get her peanut butter or it's a very messy night if you get my drift. I would assume she would have thrown them up before the walking garbage disposal that is the Happster.

He's been eating grass a lot since the cupcake incident which I always told him to stop it was going to make him sick...guess that was the point poor guy with plastic jewerly floating in his tummy. Lucky starting eating grass a bit too but it seems more she decided to mimic happy than an upset stomach on her part.

We didn't have Sam yet, he just turned three months on tuesday.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I think I would have him xrayed, just to be safe.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

The things our Labs eat! Plastic doesn't show on xrays, generally but a blockage would. Am wondering if an ultrasound might show if any rings are still hanging out. My concern would be that if there are still a few in there that one could get caught and cause a bowel obstruction of perforation of the colon. Although he sure sounds like he's fine most of the time. If he like most Labs though he didn't learn a thing from the experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselady
    The things our Labs eat! Plastic doesn't show on xrays, generally but a blockage would. Am wondering if an ultrasound might show if any rings are still hanging out. My concern would be that if there are still a few in there that one could get caught and cause a bowel obstruction of perforation of the colon. Although he sure sounds like he's fine most of the time. If he like most Labs though he didn't learn a thing from the experience!
    OH I know it! I'm sure he didn't learn a thing the little bugger!! My main concern was that 'well lets wait and see if it causes a problem before we go getting them out of him' and then what if they do cause an obstruction and it's bad and he gets really sick and then surgery is dangerous!!!