Heart Broken

Thread: Heart Broken

DefaultHeart Broken

Ok, Long background short, I was in foster care as a child and still keep in touch with some of my foster siblings. her parents are no longer together and she lives with her mom. Her a got remarried years ago and he got a black lab...Otto...he is the reason I LOVE the breed! GREAT dog! he passed unfortunately.

O.K. She tells me about 2 months ago that they got a black lab puppy an I was so excited for them! they missed Otto so much and he seemed to bring them a lot of happiness. Well, we haven't spoken for a period of time and she IM'd me the other day and we started chatting. She was telling me how she thought Astro was so cute and how she wanted to dog sit for me if i ever needed it. (the whole time I'm excited because I'm thinking "doggy Play date!")

I go on to ask her how her puppy was and if she wanted to bring him over. What she said made me cry. These are her exact words:

"Oh, my mommy took him to the pound because he was getting to big"

me- "So, you guys didn't know that he would get big? he's the exact same breed as otto!'

her- "Yea, I know but we just have other things to do"

me- "So, you took him to the shelter?"

her - "yea, I know he'll find a good home, he's a good dog"

me - "If he was so good, you should have kept him"

her - "User has signed off, please send message when user signs back on"

ugh, this conversation hurts my heart.....why do people get animals just to turn them away? granted they took him to a "no kill" shelter.....but Ive been there and the animals aren't taken care of very well and in cages that are to small because they are way over the number they are supposed to have. I feel so bad for him. I wish we had enough room for another dog....he's only 9months......I feel so horrible and I didn't even do anything.

I guess I just wanted to vent so I wouldn't kick her! lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Heart Broken

All I can say is people are stupid.

Laura

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    All I can say is people are stupid.
    I agree with you Laura!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

That's one of the excueses that frosts me right along with he shed too much. NO SHI$ sherlock anyone who does even the slightest research should expect both their size and shedding.
    Hopefully the puppy finds a good home.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

As far as I can tell, people just don't think it thru.

I sometimes browse the "craig's list" type site for my area. You would not believe the amount of dogs around 5-9mts being given up. no time. moving. too big. alergies. And the kicker is the ones rehoming pup as young as 4mts. I mean come ON, how much could your life have changes in the weeks you got the dog that you can't take care of it? Probably someone that just wanted a dog and picked one up then realized "oh wait, dogs take time and training"

And for the most part, they really do believe their dogs will find a great new home.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

That is the No. 1 excuse stupid people use around here to get rid of their dogs. They are too big and my house is small... like people don´t know how big dogs grow... real excuse: I don´t want to clean, exercise, brush, play, give attention and love to the dog

Years ago when I left my parent´s house the main reason was because the neighbors got a dog (a gorgeous show line black lab by the way) and they decided to "abandon" the dog to its devices at the rooftop of their house (very common practice here in Mexico, makes me sick). Of course the dog barks at everything and all night and my window was right by his side. I couldn´t get a full night sleep for months until I left.

My house is small but the dogs are OK because we exercise every single day and they are with me inside the house whenever I am home. People think that big dogs need space when 99.99% of the time what they need is their owner´s company

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

This story reminds me of the lecture I give to anyone considering getting a dog, any kind of dog. It basically goes along the liine of a discussion the DW and I had in Jan 08. She told me she wanted a Chocolate lab, she knew I would love to have a dog again. I didn't think she really wanted one and put up all the negatives I could think of, including a 10-15 year commitment to this animal we didn't have yet. She simply responded with , 'I want a Chocolate Lab.' I decided to let the conversation end and wait a few weeks/months to see if it came back. About 3 weeks later I got, 'Did you find us a Chocolate Lab yet?' So we went through the subject matter again, I kept asking about the 10-15 years, I kept getting the same answer. The answer I wanted.

So we have HK, and she has a home for as long as she lives on this earth.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.