HUGE Mess

Thread: HUGE Mess

DefaultHUGE Mess

So Odie is about 6 1/2 months old now. I consider this dog to be house trained, but on occasion he has an accident. But they are few and far between. And it's always peeing.

Until tonight. I came home from work and my roommate informed me that Odie had crapped in the family room in the basement while he was in the shower. Odie hasn't pooped in the house since the second week I had him. I thought it was really bizarre, but I figured he's still young and will have an accident from time to time.

My roommate didn't clean it up because he says he doesn't like to clean it up when it's fresh. So I grabbed some baggies and paper towels and went to clean it up. I couldn't believe what I saw.

Not to be gross or anything but it was the biggest turd I ever saw. It was twice the volume of what normally comes out of him. Odie also does this thing when he's pooping where he walks forward and shits in a line. He'll crap a little, then take a couple steps forward, then shit some more, etc...

So I had 5 piles of crap to clean up from one bathroom session. I used Natures Miracle, but I don't think it's going to do the trick this time. I might have to drag out the carpet cleaner.

I'm sure it was just a case of "I have to go right now, and there's nobody to let me out" But what I don't understand is why he picked the basement to do it. If he would have done it by the kitchen door, where he goes outside, I would understand. All I know is that this better not turn into a house training relapse. I can handle cleaning up urine once in awhile. It's easy. But feces really ticks me off.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: HUGE Mess

Remember they are babies. Like newly potty trained children they will have accidents. He probably hadn't pooped for a while because there was so much (maybe constipated) and when his bowels had to go he had to go.

Cinnamon uses my living room carpet when she has an accident and I don't know why. I have never had a dog that will go on the floor they all have choose carpeted areas. I think it feels more like grass. Cinnamon only goes in the house when she is sick and no one lets her out quickly enough.

Hope this was a one time thing.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Rider actually always picks the basement to get sick or have diareha in too. It's like he panics because he knows he doesn't feel good and runs around but by the time it is coming, he's down stairs. No worries.

I think Natures Miracle is a waste of money. I use Hydrogen Peroxide and it works wonderfully.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Every one of the dogs I have had always had their 'accidents' somewhere that was not heavily used. I always claimed they knew it was wrong to happen in the house and went for someplace to 'hide' it. The GR we had always went to the bathroom, the room with the tile floor, commode, and tub, to have her accidents IN THE TUB. Vomit, diarrhea, poop, pee. Always in the tub. We didn't teach her to do that. She did it on her own. From the very first time it happened, we never did anything to make her think it might be wrong. We also never praised her because we preferred this all happened outside.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Finnigan is offline Senior Member

I remember once when Sunshine was not well and ended up with the runs sometime during the day when we were not home - she avoided all areas we "lived in" Nothing in the kitchen/family room/our bedroom but the dining room (Finn was in his cratein here - this was to try and blame it on him I figure) but the rest of it was on the landing at the top of the stairs and in a guest room that we never use. I always chalked it up to the "expanded crate" of the areas of the house she spends time in - she didn't want to mess in it just like she won't do it in a crate.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I can handle cleaning up urine once in awhile. It's easy. But feces really ticks me off.
    Poop is so much easier to clean up than pee. Pee soaks in immediatly and the stink stays forever.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

sapper3121 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff
    I can handle cleaning up urine once in awhile. It's easy. But feces really ticks me off.
    Poop is so much easier to clean up than pee. Pee soaks in immediatly and the stink stays forever.
    Not when they have the runny poop inside your shoes and all over the living room floor 1 foot from were u are passed out drunk on the floor because of your cousins b-day party and she wanted him to sleep next to her so i gave in and didnt put him in his cage to sleep

Yeah, this poop was runny, and just smears all over when you try to clean it up. I've never seen odie have a truely solid stool. At most it just holds a shape. I've tried changing foods, and it doesn't help.

But get this. After this poop incident last night, he had another accident this morning before I left for work. I was brushing my teeth and was only in the bathroom for a few minutes, and I come out to find a big puddle of piss right in front of the door to the backyard.

Whats so bizzare is he had just gone out and urinated 15 minutes prior to the accident, and he didn't even bother to sit by the door and wait. He was in the bathroom with me when I was brushing my teeth, then he left, pissed by the door, and then went and layed down on the couch.

Odie hasn't had a single accident in at least a month. Now it seems like he's forgetting everything. What am I sopposed to do? Do I start praising and rewarding for going outside again?

The worst part about these two accidents is I don't trust him anymore. Where as prior to this I trusted this dog about 95% to go outside. Now I would say I trust him about 50% I've just lost confidence in him. Thats the worst part.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scoper50
    Odie hasn't had a single accident in at least a month. Now it seems like he's forgetting everything. What am I sopposed to do? Do I start praising and rewarding for going outside again?
    Yup. It's not really like starting over, just more like a reminder that outside is a GOOD place to go potty.

Personally, if he's only 6.5 months, I wouldn't trust him either, regardless of what he's done for the past month. He's still young, bound to forget stuff every once in awhile.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!