obediance classes

Thread: obediance classes

Defaultobediance classes

I was wondering at what age is best to enroll in classes, Jenny in 6 months. Thank you. I will post pics as soon as i find my camera cable.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: obediance classes

We had Remy in puppy kindergarten at 9 weeks and he has just now finished his second set of obedience training classes at 6 months. So, um...now is my answer!
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

the sooner the better, as soon as they have had their vaccinations. But it is never to late to start either. :educated:

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

Yep - anytime now. I started Emilu in a clicker-puppy class when she was a year old, but she already knew her basic commands. Then we started "real" obedience at 2 years old. I would have started sooner, but didn't know where to go. I now travel over 75 miles to get to her class.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: obedience classes

The usual answer for how young to start is as soon as they've finished their shots.

The aim of most obedience classes is NOT to train your pup but to teach you how to properly train your pup and give you exercises to work on during the week.

Do drop by any of the classes in your area to see which has the instructor and method that seems most mainstream.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Henry started puppy kindergarten classes at around 10 weeks and then "real" obedience classes around other-aged dogs when he had finished his vaccinations.

I had started his training from the 2nd day after he came home at 8 weeks, so he was pretty prepared by the time we got to puppy kindergarten.

sammysam21 is offline Senior Member

Cooper was 4 months when we enrolled him in puppy class. He just graduated last night at 6 months of age. He will be starting the intermediate class in two weeks. I can see a change in him. It felt great last night for the teacher and fellow class mates to comment on how great he was doing & how much he has changed. It is worth the time & money to go to class besides, I can't believe how much fun it was.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

sarah is offline Senior Member

Milly's start was similar to Henery's. 10 weeks we did 6 weeks of Puppy Preschool and then when we found Obedience we started as soon as we could (they only took new registrations the last Wednesday of the month) so we've been doing that for 6 weeks now. We have gone from Beginners to 1st Class and will go to 2nd class based on performance.

We practice lots during the week - like Bob Pr. said, Obedience is very good to show YOU how to train your doggy and they expect you to practice during the week between scheduled classes. Milly loves Obedience .. she's still getting the knack of understanding that it's not just a social hour like puppy school and that she can't jump on the other dogs there! But she's getting much better every week! (especially if we exercise her an hour beforehand.. she's much more mellow)
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by turnipgirl
    the sooner the better, as soon as they have had their vaccinations. But it is never to late to start either. :educated:
    Yep!
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

We started with ours after the second set of shots (requirement for puppy kindergarten). As soon as their puppy class was completed they moved on to basic obedience. Diesel is now seven months and in intermediate obedience. So you can definitely start now.