Puppy vs Adult Dog

Thread: Puppy vs Adult Dog

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppy vs Adult Dog

The past day or so I have noticed Willow getting a lot more "aggressive" towards Autumn. Usually Autumn is the instigator, always chasing Willow around nipping at her feet hanging on her neck or ears. The family joke is Willow is Autumn’s favorite toy because if I throw a ball Willow goes after the ball and Autumn goes after Willow..

But yesterday and today Willow was the aggressor, actually chasing her down and bowling her over a few times. and the part that I don’t like is she always goes for her neck….I know they are playing because of the “happy tail” and I’m sure if Willow really wanted to hurt her she would of already…once in a while I think she spooks Autumn and she will yelp ..maybe it’s a kind of submission hold? A domination thing?

Autumn is now learning to use her weight ( a whole 21 lbs)against her also, when she “attacks” she’s charging harder, still no match for an adult lab she usually winds up sprawling head over heals., its quite comical to watch.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy vs Adult Dog

Sounds to me like Willow is telling her off which is a good thing. Puppies can be a little overbearing and where willow has seemed tolerant in the past now maybe she has had enough. Penny is always telling Alfie off and i let them get on with it,

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Trust Willow that she will not hurt Autumn. When Bruno was small, Judy went easy on him and "protected" him from Duke, a rough player. She placed herself between Duke and Bruno so Duke couldn't get to him. When Bruno got bigger, there was a step up in roughness of play, and Judy let Bruno and Duke play together. I can remember when Judy was a pup and Mitzi put her down with mouth on Judy's neck when Judy got too rough.
    You have a beautiful pair of labs there, and it looks like they will be pals for life.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kaznalf
    Sounds to me like Willow is telling her off which is a good thing. Puppies can be a little overbearing and where willow has seemed tolerant in the past now maybe she has had enough. Penny is always telling Alfie off and i let them get on with it,
    Same with Tundra and Aries, Aries is always telling off Tundra.

brody is offline Senior Member

if amber doens't listen to the mild warnings willow may have to hurt her a little to make the point ... don't freak out if it happens

hank is generally VERY tolerant of puppies and pains - our current foster Fitzgerald is a RIGHT PAIN .. Hank gave me a heart attack the other day when he actually picked Fitz up off the ground and dropped him .. Hank stalked away and Fitz actually stopped yapping in his face and biting his feet for 4 whole days - he's back at it again this morning and while I am trying to help out Fitz has some BIG trouble accepting corrections from people so poor Hank will probably have to lay down the law again
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Jenica will also correct Diesel and chase him down when he becomes too much of a nuisance. She let him get away with almost anything for the first few weeks, and she still allows him things that she would not allow other dogs, but she will tell him when enough is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by kaznalf
    Yes--this is what Willow would do with Hugo. She would let him play, but after a while she would shift gears just enough to let him know that he needed to tone it down a bit.

Its sounds to me like Willow is just telling Autumn to calm down bit.
    We have a made cocker spaniel and she can get quite annoying towards our lab kassie, but kassie just tells her and tends to bark and lunge at her to make it known she isn't playing, our late black lab skeet used to bark aswell.
    They will calm down eventually.It sounds like Willow has been very tolerant of Autumn and now she is just putting her in her place since she is getting older.You will know when to step in if anything happens