Flea & Tick Treatment

View Poll Results: Where do you purchase your flea and tick treatment?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vet's Office

7 50.00%
  • Petco/Petsmart or other store

0 0%
  • On-line (i.e. 800-pet-meds)

7 50.00%
  • Catalog

0 0%

Thread: Flea & Tick Treatment

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultFlea & Tick Treatment

I had Lexi to the vet last night for her annual check-up. She is healthy as a horse, but I shelled out $152.00 for a six-month supply of her flea & tick preventative and heartworm meds. :surprise:

I feel like I am getting hosed by the vet's office. Even more so after looking in the Drs. Foster & Smith, the same flea & tick treatment is $30 less expensive. Petco.com was about $20 less expensive.

I wanted to get a feel for where others get this kind of stuff.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Flea & Tick Treatment

I don't give flea/tick preventative. I've never seen a flea on either dog, and from what I'm hearing their really not a big issue around here. So I figured if they get fleas I'll cross that bridge then, but I'm not loading them up with unnecessary chemicals.

I do use interceptor for heartworm, and combine two lower doses to be able to dose Baloo appropriately for his weight, which is more $$$ as I have to buy two packages, but I justify it because I'm not buying the flea/tick stuff.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I've found maakenterprises http://www.maakenterprises.com/
    to be the cheapest for Frontline as their shipping is free. I order 6 of the largest dog doses (up to 132#), and split a dose betw 2 of my girls since they are all under 65#. They send me coupon specials as well, and often I'll order for friends so we all get the best discounts possible. I order a lot of other supplies thru Revival and Omaha Vaccine as well. Foster and Smith is pretty pricey by comparison. It pays to shop around... one of my training friends was quoted $18 per dose for Frontline at the vet's office yet I have been treating my dogs thru tick season for less than $5 this way.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I don't use it either. Actually bought some from the vet - but just never could bring myself to apply chemicals to my pups body. We really don't have much of an issue with fleas here - have not had fleas on a dog since 1982. Ticks we just remove.

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

Deb, I always get mine from Dr's Foster Smith. I try to keep an eye on it and get it when they are having a sale or when they have a free shipping offer. Unfortunately you paid too much at the vet. Next time you could definitely save money buy buying online. Don't look for the cheapest online though, I have heard there is counterfeit frontline out there. Buy from a reputable site and you can still save $

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by blacklabelias
    Deb, I always get mine from Dr's Foster Smith. I try to keep an eye on it and get it when they are having a sale or when they have a free shipping offer. Unfortunately you paid too much at the vet. Next time you could definitely save money buy buying online. Don't look for the cheapest online though, I have heard there is counterfeit frontline out there. Buy from a reputable site and you can still save $
    Ditto all of that. Bad, BAD year for fleas in OK this year. *ick*

Seamus and Flynn

EntirelyPets has good prices. Ask your vet if they will price match. Mine did.

IzzyLucyWillie is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kiddsmom
    EntirelyPets has good prices. Ask your vet if they will price match. Mine did.
    This is where we buy ours.