Did I overreact?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did I overreact?

DefaultDid I overreact?

Hi-

Often lurker, seldom poster here. Hope everyone is doing fine.

Last year I posted about my sister's 12 year old golden being attacked by my neighbor's pitbull mix. My sister's hand is still not right from the serious bite she received..and there was blood everywhere during the attack. It was terrifying.

Last night I was walking Sam at one of our beautiful parks here in Fort Collins, CO. I saw this young couple with two pit bulls. Each pit bull was dragging a tire behind itself. I thought, well, maybe that is a good way to work them out. They stopped at a basketball court to visit. The path I was on went right by the court. I had Sam on leash and stayed on the outside of the path and kept an eye on the pit bulls as I walked. Their leashes were on the ground and the tires were still tethered to them. The much larger pit bull of the two....very muscular....really perked up when he saw Sam. He started towards Sam, tire dragging behind. Keep in mind the pit bull that approached my sister last summer looked so friendly and was even wagging its tail a little bit before it attacked. This large male was coming towards Sam. I said, "Get your dog." They didn't move...were just visiting away. I yelled, "GET YOUR DOG!" The girl jumped up and got his leash right before he got to us. I was already standing in front of Sam and wondering how I was going to take on a 90 lb pit bull. She said, "Oh he wouldn't hurt a flea!" I continued my walk and I heard the girl exclaim, "WOW"...I know they thought my reaction was way out there. I felt bad because I always try to give all dogs the benefit of the doubt and I know any dog can bite. No harm was done to Sam or myself. Did I overreact?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labbylover Guest

DefaultRe: Did I overreact?

I don't think so. Although there are some pit bulls that are very mellow and gentle, a lot are bred for other reasons here in the States so it's better to err on the side of caution. Your sister's hand will vouch for that.

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

No you did not overreact at all.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

I don't think so at all. Regardless of the breed, if someone is uncomfortable with being approached by a dog and vocalizes it, the dog's owner should respond immediately. Now if you had demanded that they leave with their dogs and never come back, that would be something else...

And with the bad rap that pitbulls have in the US, I hate to see anyone act like that. Even if their dog is completely friendly, as a good pitbull owner they should be ambassadors for the breed, not contributing to the nervousness of others.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I think you have a history that justifies your actions. I would not fret over it.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

bibber is offline Senior Member

I would probably do that with any unleashed dog approaching us if the owner was right there. As far as pit bulls, they do make me nervous based just on reputation, but we have had friends bring their pit bulls over to play with our dogs and they were the sweetest, happiest dogs. I think they get a bad rap based on irresponsible owners.

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Your reaction was spot on! They should never had let go of the leashes, I don't care if the dogs were friendly. You have no way of knowing especially in light of past experience.

I think I would have done the same thing. You didn't go cusing them or anything just asked that they get their dogs. Was the area an offleash area? I would also be wondering why they had a tire attached to them that sound more like they are training them but who knows. I don't like any unleashed dogs coming up to us when my dogs are on leash especially ones I don't know. Also how do they know your dogs are friendly and not leash agressive I always ask before letting my dogs go up to another dog.

The tire-dragging thing would be enough to scare me. That's weird.

I don't care what kind of dog it was, you NEVER know how two dogs are going to interact especially when one is not on a leash...I think your reaction was fine...shame on them for thinking everyone is comfortable interacting with their dogs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast