just curious this is a question i need answered

Thread: just curious this is a question i need answered

doglover12 Guest

Defaultjust curious this is a question i need answered

I know this will probably be a heated subject but i'm curious which colour in the lab came first yellow or black? I thought the yellow came first then the black then the chocolate. Also did blacks take a while to be a reconized colour in the lab? My mums parents use to breed labrador retrievers back in the 1960s and back then yellows were allowed and blacks were not, Some breeders back then actually killed off the blacks. When were blacks a reconized colour?

On another forum i'm on they said blacks were the first lab born,then yellow then chocolate, They also said blacks were always a reconized colour in the labs. any information on this would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: just curious this is a question i need answered

Also did blacks take a while to be a reconized colour in the lab? My mums parents use to breed labrador retrievers back in the 1960s and back then yellows were allowed and blacks were not, Some breeders back then actually killed off the blacks. When were blacks a reconized colour?
    You have this the wrong way round. The first Labradors were black.

doglover12 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    Also did blacks take a while to be a reconized colour in the lab? My mums parents use to breed labrador retrievers back in the 1960s and back then yellows were allowed and blacks were not, Some breeders back then actually killed off the blacks. When were blacks a reconized colour?
    You have this the wrong way round. The first Labradors were black.
    Thanks i wasn't sure which colour first appeared black or yellow. Now since i know black was the first which colours came next yellow then chocolate or chocolate then yellow? I'm still learning.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Before getting my first Lab (1967), I researched all the books our public library had on dog breeds and their characteristics. Labs weren't as popular then as now and the only color mentioned for Labs at that time was black and all the pictures of Labs I ever saw at that time were of black Labs.

So I was quite surprised to find out in the 90s that Labs in the colors yellow and chocolate existed -- and apparently have existed since early in the development of the Labrador breed.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I went to a field training seminar, and the guy who ran it was fairly old... I'd say sixties or thereabouts..??

Anyways, he was talking about how he had one of the first yellow field labs in Canada, and how everyone would tell him that the dog was no good (because he wasn't black). Apparently he was really successful with him, but I digress...

The first labs were black, then yellow slowly became more accepted, and then chocolate. Way back when, if there were any colors but black in a litter, they were thought to be no good and sometimes even culled. Chocolate is by far the newest in terms of being a recognized color, and to this day there are very few (if any..?) chocolates in the highest levels of competition, conformation or field.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

My understanding is that black, with chocolate being it's natural recessive, have been there since the beginning. Chocolate dogs weren't too common because the breedings were Black X Black, but when they did appear, they were culled. I believe that yellow was intoduced through another breed in the early stages of developement in england.