Pet Insurance - really wishing I had done it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet Insurance - really wishing I had done it

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultPet Insurance - really wishing I had done it

Looking back always makes it easier to say what you would have done, but now that I'm experiencing the cost of surgery I'm wishing I had gotten the insurance. I am still in the process of evaluating insurance companies and so far most of them won't insure Sky for any future ACL injuries. The normal response is that it is 50-90% chance that the other side will go so they consider even the other leg a pre existing condition.

If you are on the fence about insurance I would recommend it. If we do have to do the other leg the net cost will be somewhere around $8,000. Right now I'm using care credit to pay for the current one and will be putting money aside for the potential possibility of the 2nd one. They say it usually happens shortly after the first.

I'm waiting for a response back from VPI as they may cover the 2nd one as long as it isn't within 12mths of the date of the policy.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Pet Insurance - really wishing I had done it

Right there with you on the regret train. Wish I had gotten it before my 2 year old Lab was diagnosed with Diabetes. I am looking at a lifetime of expense - much more frequent vet visits - pushing $1000- since his diagnosis in November - and insulin/supplies of about $1000- a year. Makes the cost of the insurance seem quite the bargain.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

As far as I know, no insurance company will cover a pre-exisiting like a torn ACL. When Hudler got his first done, I looked into it and 2 months later, his next went.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

Wow! Skippy's ACL surgery was 500 dollars (traditional repair) - Total costs (diagnosis x-rays, etc) it was probably less than 800 dollars.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh man Sharon. This really makes me think.

You know how Angus is. I have thought about insurance quite a bit. Maybe it's something I should look into again.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. What a great mommy you are, and how lucky Sky is. I can't believe how expensive that surgery is. Here's hoping she will be fine after this one!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

Patm - the surgeons I was recommened to see will only do TPLO. The reason being the dog has minimal issues with arthritis when they age and do not have any issues post recovery. I know several posted how happy they were with the traditional surgery - I was tempted to look for another surgeon but decided this probably was the best course.

I'll just have to hope that Sky is in that 10% that don't have recurring issues.

But I still think I'm going to insure the dogs. I want to know that if they do get cancer or anything else that my decisions won't be based on just finances.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I have insurance for Tal and am about to sign Barney up. I have a savings for Midnight. This is the exact reason I have it....for those huge expenses. I sure hope I never have to use it for that but at least its there.

I hope Sky doesn't have to have the second one. And hopefully, VPI will be willing to insure it. 12 months from the date of the policy sounds reasonable to me. Good luck!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I do not know that this is fact, but through a friend. He was told that the ortho vets will perform or consider performing tradition ACL repair for dogs under ~30 lbs, but once into the 50+ lb class, they really believe that TPLO is the only way to help the dog.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

I had insurance for Buddy several years ago. After they found out he ran into a moving car and hit his head, every single thing I put in a claim for was blamed on his car accident and the claim was rejected. He could have had an infected toe nail but it was due to his car accident. You are better off putting the cost of a premium aside in a separate savings account. then if you don't need to use it, you'll have a nice gift one day.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Instead of paying pet insurance premiums, we put money into a Jake Account twice yearly. That way we can cover "pre-existing" conditions and use the money as we see fit. I guess I'm just skeptical because horse insurance is such a rip-off, I can't bring myself to trust dog insurance.

I know you didn't ask for this either, but I would not feel badly for going with a surgeon that would preform a traditional repair. I attended a talk given by a very good surgeon at the University of Pennsylvania who will not preform TPLO - because there have been no definitive scientific studies showing that TPLO dogs have any better outcome than traditional repair. It's a terribly invasive procedure as well. His opinion was that everyone is doing it because it's newer, and therefore assumed to be better - but there's not data to back that up. If money is an issue, I would not feel guilty at all for going with traditional - and I think many people on here would do traditional even if money wasn't an issue. Just my $0.02 - good thoughts and prayers for Sky and you.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast