Tick Removal - I have a tip
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tick Removal - I have a tip

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultTick Removal - I have a tip

OK, so I get this email from my cousin the other day about removing ticks. It's one of those with a million forwarded addresses, every once in a while someone writes, "THIS REALLY WORKS!!!!!!!!!! YOU HAVE TO TRY IT!!!!!!!!!!!"

I generally tend to blow off these types of emails, but for some reason I read it.

What it said to do was put a dime-sized dab of liquid soap on a cotton ball, place it on the tick and it would come right off.

Yeah. OK.

But I emailed my cousin back and said I would try it next time I had the opportunity.

Ironically, when I got home that night I found a tick on Angus. So I thought what the heck...it won't hurt anything to try it.

Oh. My. Gosh. It DID work! I couldn't believe it. I held the cotton ball on for about 30 seconds, and the tick wiped right off. Head and all.

Then, ironically again, I had another opportunity to try it today with Simon. Everyone went for a hike in the woods the other day, so I guess that's where they picked these up.

Anyway, because Simon is black , I didn't see this tick until he was pretty fully engorged. The one on Angus was still pretty small.

I tried the cotton ball/soap method again, but it didn't work so well on the engorged tick. We had to bust out the tweezers. I can do just about anything with the boys, but engorged ticks are Kevin's territory. ACK!

Anyway. So in my experience (two ticks), the soap thing works like a charm if the tick hasn't been on very long. And that's my report. :-*

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lucky.N.Lucy Guest

DefaultRe: Tick Removal - I have a tip

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky.N.Lucy
    Again, I usually ignore these types of emails, but tried this one anyway, and it did work. So, snopes says it's an "old wive's tale." It took off the tick and I didn't have to use tweezers, so I was happy.

There is a possibility that the tick was already dead and just hanging on, and the soap just loosened its grip, making it easier to remove. I maintain that is still easier than using tweezers.

Connie and "The Boys":

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky.N.Lucy
    Thank you Lucky.N.Lucy for posting some objective evidence on this old wives tale. I also tried the liquid soap thing when it was posted about a week ago in another thread. It just doesn't work!

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

Clinic experience here....Spray those engorged "suckers" with a little alcohol, and they'll fall off (usually before a surgery can be completed). Just make sure you don't step on them when they do. :vomit:

sapper3121 is offline Member

I hate ticks eww. When I was at sapper school i found over 30 of them on me in about a two week peroid. I know olive oil works also on getting them off. Just dont get one stuck in your #2 hole like i did. That had to be the most embarissing thing I have ever experienced.

fourbabygirls Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sapper3121
    I hate ticks eww. When I was at sapper school i found over 30 of them on me in about a two week peroid. I know olive oil works also on getting them off. Just dont get one stuck in your #2 hole like i did. That had to be the most embarissing thing I have ever experienced.
    :scare: :vomit:

Quote Originally Posted by ruff n tumble crew
    Clinic experience here....Spray those engorged "suckers" with a little alcohol, and they'll fall off (usually before a surgery can be completed). Just make sure you don't step on them when they do. :vomit:
    OK, that's interesting! I'll try that next.

Anything to avoid tweezers. I can never get close enough to the head.

Connie and "The Boys":

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Interesting, especially since a couple weeks ago, I found about 4-5 deer ticks attached to me a couple days in a row, picked up on Puff's and my daily morning walk in the nature preserve.

If you Google safe tick removal, you'll find a lot of agreement (now) that the best thing to do is to use sustained gentle pulling with small tonged angled tweezers.

Using hot matches, nail polish, vaseline, detergents, alcohol, etc., can sometimes/often induce the tick to regurgitate extra disease laden material back into the host. Since it usually takes 24 hours of attachment to the host before sufficient toxic material to cause a disease is transferred, prompt removal is very prudent.

As soon as I found ticks on me, I went to a pet store to buy a device to pull them off. They didn't have the previous model I'd bought, used, and lost -- something that looked like a plastic measuring spoon with a V-shaped slot in it.

What I found was "Tick Twister" -- 2 sizes of small plastic objects looking like small wrecking bars. They recommend twisting the tick 2-3 revolutions along with the pulling. See www.otom.com

Our present government (& other health agencies) recommendations also advise against twisting or rotating during the pull out of a concern that doing so may twist off the head and leave it embedded. If the head does get detached by the straight pulling, it should be removed with the tweezers.

Now, to prevent anymore ticks on me, I put the pants, socks and boots I use into a large plastic garbage bag, spray some DEET in, and leave it sealed until needed the next morning. It's worked so far. Puff doesn't have ticks attach to her, probably courtesy of her Frontline Plus and Interceptor.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Tick removal seems to be one of those things that you hear a lot of different things about: Twist two or three times, then sometimes whatever you do, don't twist. I've seen it both ways.

I also wonder if grabbing the tick and squeezing wouldn't cause regurgitation. It seems to me that would almost certainly cause the tick to lose its cookies, if anything would. But I admit I don't know much about the digestive system of a tick.

All I know is this: I put soap on a cotton ball, and so far it has worked 50% of the time.

Maybe I will have my mom ask the head of Ag Ext at the next Master Gardener's meeting if squeezing a tick's body can cause it to regurgitate. If anyone would know, he would. He once showed me how to ID a tick that was missing the mouthparts.

Connie and "The Boys":

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast