This is a Rant :(
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is a Rant :(

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultThis is a Rant :(

There is a house around the block from me that I pass when I have to ruin errands. I don't go that way anymore because there is a black dog (not sure what kind) that is always chained up outside there. He does not look like he gets no food, and I know when it has been raining or storming he is apparently in the house. I called animal control but since he is getting the bare minimum there isn't anything they can do.

I feel so sorry for that poor dog. And what really gets me is he knows my Jeep because he has seen Tal, and later on Barney, in it with me. I just know he'd give anything to be able to play with them. Even when they aren't with me he runs and barks like take me with you please!! :'( :'(

Ya know, every day I see Barney and Tal playing with eachother and Midnight, their wagging tails when I get home and the times they come and get petted and that tail just a goin...to say nothing of those looks that let you know you have a real good connecntion with them. It boggles my mind how people can just ignore that when these furbies have so much they give...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: This is a Rant :(

I know what you mean. My neigbors have a lab that has been tied up to her doghouse her entire life, except when she was living in a small pen inside a shed for several months. And they have a coonhound that has also been tied up it's entire life. The coonhound was actually rescued by my neighbor , after being dumped out of a pick-up truck, but I'm not sure what quality of life it has now either. My 2 have it really good - as it should be. My other neighbor had a mixed breed dog that really wanted to be our dog. It would go on walks with us (it was loose), and come up in our yard. It really just wanted to be somebody's special dog. Not just get a bowl of food at home.

sarah is offline Senior Member

People who live next door to us are nice people but they have a red cattle dog and he is outside all the time, never inside and gets hardly any attention. When they have visitors he jumps all over them with glee and they all go mad on him. He never gets walked or anything Poor baby - he gets fed crappy dry dog food and spends his life in a very boring way.

I always give him a brisket bone or a liver treat over the fence when I can and give him lots of pats but I know its not enough. I have offered to walk him and they always politely decline, they probably think I'm crazy but I feel so sorry for Bob.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

So,so sad. Isnt it tempting to take him! Bad, I know.

fourbabygirls Guest

There are 3 kids on my bus (I'm a school bus driver) who have at least 6 dogs. I can't remember the exact number, but I know it's more than five. There are 3 I can see from the road tied outside (labs all of them; 2 black, 1 yellow), and late last fall one of their females had a litter, and they kept one of the pups. I have never understood what the point was of having a dog only to keep it chained out by itself.
    I was dating my dh for months before I knew his mother had a dog, a sweet Sheltie mix. She had the saddest life ever. They only went out once a day to feed her, and that was all the attention she got. I convinced my MIL to find her a better home, but then things got better before she left. My in-laws dairy farm, and they took her to the farm where dh's grandmother lived (they didn't live on site then but do now) and she literally ran for 2 hours before she calmed down. She loves it on the farm and is a happy dog. You can see it on her face. She's always "smiling" now.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Well, now, maybe he isn't out there all day long. You say he looks well fed and you've never seen him outside in bad weather. Can you tell if his tether is long enough for him to roam around his yard safely?

I'm trying to think positively here.

Seamus and Flynn

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paddysmom
    Well, now, maybe he isn't out there all day long. You say he looks well fed and you've never seen him outside in bad weather. Can you tell if his tether is long enough for him to roam around his yard safely?

I'm trying to think positively here.
    There is a fence on one side at a 90 degree angle with the house. His tether isn't that long. Other than bad weather I always see him out there. I leave for school about 7 am and he is always chained up asleep and looks like he has been there awhile. I wish I could get over the feeling he never has any attention, but that is the way it appears. We have had some fairly hot days already (mid-90s) and he is chained up outside. At least he had some shady spots so he doesn't bake.

Quote Originally Posted by DextersMomma
    So,so sad. Isnt it tempting to take him! Bad, I know.
    Well, I have thought about it. But given the dog is in the front where everybody can see. Best I can tell he just gets no attention to speak of. And that makes me really sad.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

I wish I could get over the feeling he never has any attention, but that is the way it appears.
    I'm sorry, Guy. There is a place like this about a mile up the street from us. Several dogs outside, lots of dog houses, I can see that they are fed, but they just seem so... needy of attention and affection.

It's a horrible, helpless feeling to see them like that. :'(

Seamus and Flynn

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I have a neighbor with an older chocolate lab. She lives outside, has never been in the house. She is in a 12x12 kennel and is never taken for walks. I offered to take her to the dp with HK but she hasn't had any shots, or seen a vet in 8 years. I told them to get her vaccinated and I would take her with us. That was last summer, and still hasn't been to a vet.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

My dad called me this weekend to tell me about the little poodle mix next door to them.

He was tied on a short leash on the patio in the baking sun in 90 degree weather. WEARING A SWEATER.

I just don't understand people like this.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast