What's the right age for training?

Thread: What's the right age for training?

KellyJean Guest

DefaultWhat's the right age for training?

Hello, my Labs are two weeks apart. I've got two females, both 6 months old. Unfortunately, they've never been trained with real birds, or even decoys, but they do fetch just about anything (even the newspaper.) My husband and I are big on Dove, Quail and Pheasant. I've never trained a dog from puppyhood to retrieve birds. Mine have never even heard a gun shot. What's the best way to start them in training? They've got basics down (sit, stay, come here, lay down, wait), but I'm worried that it will be difficult trying to train two puppies for hunting. Anyone got any links or articles I could read? Any advice? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What's the right age for training?

Have you looked into joining a hunting or a retriever club? retriever training groups are like obedience classes but for gundogs. Instead of just obedience commands, you'll also work on exposing your pups to gunfire, waterwork, more basic retrieving, advanced retrieving, directions, whistle commands, etc., over the course of several months. Classes are also the best way of steadying your dog in the face of distractions, which is essential if you want to work them in the field.

I would suggest that you work your pups separately. I can imagine that trying to train them together would take twice as long!

sarah is offline Senior Member

Kellabud - have no idea about the hunting question you have but I just wanted to say that your girls are gorgeous!! what are their names?
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    Have you looked into joining a hunting or a retriever club? retriever training groups are like obedience classes but for gundogs. Instead of just obedience commands, you'll also work on exposing your pups to gunfire, waterwork, more basic retrieving, advanced retrieving, directions, whistle commands, etc., over the course of several months. Classes are also the best way of steadying your dog in the face of distractions, which is essential if you want to work them in the field.

I would suggest that you work your pups separately. I can imagine that trying to train them together would take twice as long!
    +1000% This is dead on. Start separating them and training them individually. You can introduce dead fowl anytime...or clipped winged chukers or pigeons. Make sure it's fun and stays fun.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

KellyJean Guest

Thanks. Ruger is the chocolate and Remmington is the black. They're actually pretty well behaved for puppies, but we'd like hunting companions as well as pets and are not sure where to start. Come check 'em out at Dogster.com. I love this site!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/704791

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/719418